User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convicts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

time for a gift? - Lady Hobbs   

Question Convicts

0 Not allowed!
    I am planning convicts for my 30G. Can I have more than 1 pair. I checked out my LFS, they have .75 inch white convicts. I was able to identity the male and female with the orange belly coloration in the female. Since my tank is still cycling I did not purchase any.

I am planning to buy about 3 pairs (.75 inch) and raise them in my 30G. Can I have more than one pair when the fishes reach adulthood? I have some cover in my tank, couple of flower pots, some rocks and some pvc caves (planned). Please do let me know.

Currently I have a HOB filter rated for max 210G/hr and an internal power filter for 375 G/hr. Will this filteration be adequete?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    You could start them in there until they paired but once they paired you'd have to move the other fish.... They are easy to breed but very protective when breeding... The flowerpots should work well. I'd look for the eggs there. I would cycle another 30 gallon if possible to put the others in once a pair is established....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift! - cocoa_pleco   keep yer head up - karbomb   

0 Not allowed!
    6 convicts would be the max I would put in a 30. they do get a fair size. I have 5 in a 55G and some times it seem to small. they need space.. if one pair of the convict breed, the rest will be pushed to one side, so space will get tight fast. I have 2 pairs spawning right now
    in a 55G.

your filter is plenty. you can never have to much. but your pushing it on having to much lol...

I have a 110 G tank rated HOB and a FB300 on my 55g
    Last edited by Pr0eve; 02-19-2008 at 04:54 AM.
    I like Pie.. and I love my Fish.. so whats your game?

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt you'll be able to keep more than one pair of convicts in anything smaller than a 55. The filtration is more than enough, just keep up with the water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    so I guess filtration is good enough, but since these little ones are very very territorial 30G will be good enough only to one breeding pair and *no more*. I understand, is there any other fish I can species that is fit for a 30G and can withstand the convicts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    during breeding pretty much all other fish will be killed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    one pair is best, I would not put any thing else in there, maybe a bristle noise pleco. cichlids tanks need to be big, and the convict will kill every thing else but other cichlids so...no not really any thing else can go in there with them.

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudhirbits
    so I guess filtration is good enough, but since these little ones are very very territorial 30G will be good enough only to one breeding pair and *no more*. I understand, is there any other fish I can species that is fit for a 30G and can withstand the convicts?
    Not when they are mating... In a 30 gallon there is going to be no room to back the others in so they will shread them.....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    alright, so the question is settled. we will go for 3 pairs of juveniles in the 30G till they grow up and form a breeding pair, will move the others out and then the one pair will have the tank for themselves. My LFS assured me that they will take back the other two pairs :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudhirbits
    My LFS assured me that they will take back the other two pairs :)

really? I cant give mine away. and now I have 50+ babys, lol

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast