· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a question

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having to give away fishy friends. - shalafi04   for being a good AC friend, thanx for the tubes - sharkbite   No Message - sharkbite   No Message - sharkbite   

Default just a question

0 Not allowed!
    I am totally new to all aquarium stuff I onlly hav a 10 gal with fresh water fish and thanks to all you guys it's a very good shape now. When learn enough, and save save some money I am planning to get salt water fish as well. Now my question is..... Can you mix a coral reef with fish or not? and why? since I usually see that you guys have a separate tank for coral.

Thank you guys!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For SW enthusiasm - NOT skipping class! - Rue   for the bubby goldfish - arkie   in commemoration of you babies. - Gemstone   Have a gift!! - Tolley   Congratulations on your photo award! - fins_n_fur   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Halelorf   

0 Not allowed!
    You can mix some fish with a reef. Some species like to nibble on corals and will destroy your reef. Usually those fish are rather large and you woud only be able to keep them in a bigger tank. I'm getting my 10 gallon nano reef going on wednesday after class and plan on stocking a ocellaris clownfish, a goby, and maybe one other very small peaceful fish. I would wait for some of the more experienced reefists to post and help you plan out your tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkbite
    I am totally new to all aquarium stuff I onlly hav a 10 gal with fresh water fish and thanks to all you guys it's a very good shape now. When learn enough, and save save some money I am planning to get salt water fish as well. Now my question is..... Can you mix a coral reef with fish or not? and why? since I usually see that you guys have a separate tank for coral.

Thank you guys!!!
    shark,
    These are all reef-safe fish. And these are some beginner corals and reef safe motile invertebrates. And these are zooanthids, which are also beginner corals.
    Thing is, shark, a coral reef aquarium must be VERY nutrient low, thus only a few fish can be kept in all but the largest tanks.
    Before you think about starting a marine tank, you really need to study the subject so you'll know what's required. There are several saltwater and marine reef books in my booklist. I'd suggest you invest in some of those before you consider a marine or marine reef tank. The learning curve is much, much, much steeper than the freshwater one. Also, the cost of startup is easily 10 to 20 times more than an equivalent freshwater tank, so you should take that into consideration.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having to give away fishy friends. - shalafi04   for being a good AC friend, thanx for the tubes - sharkbite   No Message - sharkbite   No Message - sharkbite   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys. Dave66 I was checking out the link that you showed me and vividaquarums is already in my favorites maybe not soon but eventually I'll be trying to go for some coral, the truth is that this things are awesome and it sounds very interesting. I rather have this than a expensive dog specially that I am from Chicago and I don't want to take the dog out to do its needs I could take care of coral inside the comfort of my house. Thank you again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift - cocoa_pleco   To A Great AC Member! :) - MeganL3985   Good Luck With Everything - MeganL3985   You might not know anything about SW tanks but you helped anyways!  Here's your first SW fish... enjoy! - rageybug   For you! Thanks! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    where abouts in chicago? i am there now too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    You can mix any reef compatible fish with corals. Some fish are not reef-compatible, such as the Yellow tang from what I've heard.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    yellow tang are one of the most reef compatible

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a reef. I don't recommend tomato clowns at all as they will host anything including corals and may woller it to death. Tangs are good and blennies and gobys are good.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    south side by midway where you at my friend??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    To place fish in with coral, you must have reef compatible fish. You're in luck, because most of the beautiful SW fish out there happen to be reef-safe.
    I've heard that tangs/surgeons tend to nip at corals, and are not always reef compatible
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater