· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Discus with Angelfish in the Wild

1 Not allowed!
    I don't know how many of you actually care about this, but I've been trying to research this for several months now. I've read several articles and accounts of Discus and Angelfish, in regards to their diets, their natural ecosystem, water params, cohabitants, etc, and I've come to the conclusion that there's a lot of misinformation about Discus, especially Discus and Angelfish living together in the wild.

My curiosity with the idea of Discus/Angelfish living in the wild was spurred by several videos found on YouTube, where fishkeepers would keep both in their tank. Most fishkeepers that do this, will keep Altums with their Discus. The site is pretty amazing, because they're arguably two of the most interesting and beautiful fish in freshwater aquaria.

I was also curious as to why it was seemingly/reportedly so difficult to keep Discus, but many people in the hobby can and do keep Angelfish without issue (and without all of the tumultuous maintenance that Discus owners go through). Being that many of the Discus/Angels we see come from similar water sources in South America and if some reports are correct, that they actually live together in the wild, it's interesting that care for each would be or suggested to be so different.

I had read and heard on a number of occasions that this simply does not happen in the wild - ie, they never meet. I've also read that while Altum Angels are never found living among them, Leopoldi and Scalare definitely are. I've watched several wild Discus and Angel videos in their natural habitat, but have not found one video to showcase them both in the same body of water. This simple fact was annoying to me, because I'd think that would be a curiosity among many fish keepers/aquarists.

Anyway, my curiosity led me to H & K Ornamental Fish, which is located in Brazil and has been in the ornamental fish exporting business since 1996. They capture wild fish, keep/quarantine them in maintained tanks, then ship them out. They specialize in saltwater and Discus ornamental fish. I actually posted one of their videos of Angelfish in the wild in a different thread. That was taken from one of their expeditions to the Arapiuns River in Brazil, which is a tributary off the Tapajos River.

Since this company does take expeditions to many bodies of water in Brazil and other countries, and actually takes care to video their experience and catch their own wild fish, I decided to ask them my simple question:

Quote Originally Posted by My Email to H&K
    Hello,

I just finished watching a couple of your Youtube videos surrounding your trips to South American Rivers. I saw a couple of Discus videos and one of Pterophyllum Scalare.

I hope you can answer this question, as it\'s been thrown around quite a bit on several fish keeping forums, but no one truly has the answer. On your many trips to these waters, have you ever seen Discus sharing the same body of water with any type of Angelfish?

When I first saw some youtube videos of Discus sharing an aquarium with Angels, several years ago, it piqued my interest into further researching the topic. When researched, I found two schools of thought... or findings. Some sources say that while Pterophyllum Altum is never found with Discus in the wild, Scalare and Leopoldi both are, depending on the location. Other sources say that they\'re never found together in the wild.

Can you confirm/deny either of these two thoughts? I\'d love to find the answer to this seemingly age-old question and be able to share my findings with others.

Thanks very much for your time. I truly look forward to hearing from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by H&K Response
    Dear Sr.

Hello thanks for the interest.

I dip in various rivers in Brazil and in the rivers where they have good visibility, I managed to shoot and and see the behavior of angels along how discus, other videos on my facebook you will see a fishing trip I made in Tefe, and that the network fishing, you will be able to see discus and angels being fished together .
    Many people talk in forums based in books, books that do not portray the true reality of Amazon, I speak what I see and what I experience in all the years Fish in the Amazon, this is my vision and not speculation.

In youtube i have one video from my tank with angels and Discus , check again.

Best regards

Hudson
    Well, I've been searching for the videos, but so far I've found this one, which showcases an angel at the end (at around 6:01):

My search continues, but I felt I should share this knowledge with others, since this is coming from a guy that actually collects fish/dives in these waters, while videoing what he sees. I'll post vids as I find them.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2 Not allowed!
    Found one of their Discus/Angel tanks:

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    When I upgrade my 75 to the 155 Bowfront I want I think these guys just got added to my stock list

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful, right? =]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Awesome. That is really interesting. As someone who has never owned a Discus fish I don't have the experience to say this, but I'm going to anyway. lol I think the care given to a fish is proportional to their cost. Discus are probably the most expensive group of fish in freshwater market (excluding super rare fish). It stands to reason that more care to keep them alive would follow.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    Yea I'd love a Bio-tope heavy planted 155 BF tank with these atlums, dwarf cichlid species, cories and a large school of tetras

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Awesome. That is really interesting. As someone who has never owned a Discus fish I don't have the experience to say this, but I'm going to anyway. lol I think the care given to a fish is proportional to their cost. Discus are probably the most expensive group of fish in freshwater market (excluding super rare fish). It stands to reason that more care to keep them alive would follow.
    I've actually thought the same thing. I've never kept Discus, but that's my best guess... plus, people keep them in ways they'd never exist in the wild. They feed them beef-heart and other very high protein diets, while in the wild they're omnivores, but mostly herbivorous. They don't get as big in the wild as they do in the aquarium, and who's to say that's a bad thing?

Not saying that people who keep Discus one way or another are doing it wrong, but like many things in fish keeping, perhaps there are more ways of doing the same thing right.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Yea I'd love a Bio-tope heavy planted 155 BF tank with these atlums, dwarf cichlid species, cories and a large school of tetras
    I plan on a big bio-tope (or at least as close to it as I can get it) setup of Wild Discus & Angels, with similar plans to yours. Would keep cories and large schools of dither fish, as well. Would be fun to create a bio-tope and try to keep it as close to what you'd find in nature as possible (just not as messy).

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That's awesome Kevin. I wouldn't mind having wild discus down the road. Right now I've got... smaller? fish to fry? lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Keeping it generic, both angelfish and discus come from the Amazon Basin, it stands to reason that somewhere in that area they live near each other. It's a huge area, just because someone hasn't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    When angelfish first came on the fish keeping scene they were treated as delicate as discus are today <--- I read that somewhere. As they became more popular and more frequently bred in captivity, their care became easier, or we grew more lazy. Even today we see this with discus. As little as 5 years ago if you told someone you were going to keep your discus in tap water you would have been corrected. But as time goes on and discus are bred more frequently in captivity, their minimum care requirements are changing just as it did with angels. I bet if you had some wild caught angels, their care would require the same extreme diligence to both clean water and correct water parameters that was associated with discus a few years ago.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Here's another video of the Tapajos Angels in the wild. Notice that they're actually sharing the same habitat with Mesonauta festivus (the Flag Cichlid - beautiful in their own right, btw), who also share the same habitat with the Discus we saw earlier.