· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default West African? Small? Possible?

0 Not allowed!
    I will soon be setting up a West African biotope tank. I've never had a tank w/o a couple beloved Plecos.

Is there a small West African (maybe just African?) Plec? Does such a creature exist? I've been searching the 'Net and not found anything yet. I've read there are West African fish that eat algea, but... They're not a Pleco.

Thanks in advance for any

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    I will soon be setting up a West African biotope tank. I've never had a tank w/o a couple beloved Plecos.

Is there a small West African (maybe just African?) Plec? Does such a creature exist? I've been searching the 'Net and not found anything yet. I've read there are West African fish that eat algea, but... They're not a Pleco.

Thanks in advance for any
    Pickles,
    Plecos are exclusively South American; there are none of the family in Africa. You've seen African algae eaters; they are your appropriate choice.
    I assume you'll be sticking with the riverine Cichlid species of West Africa? I can help you with a stocking list should you be interested.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Alot of catfish will eat algae......... If you are keeping an african tank you need something that will stand up to the aggressiveness of the fish though... I'm not sure if African cats eat algae or not though....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    There are a lot of african cichlids that feed by scraping the algae covered (Aufwuchs) rock surfaces, and in the aquarium it is not a problem as pellet or flake food is accepted, but it should be supplemented with a plant based formula containing something like spirulina
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Pickles,
    Plecos are exclusively South American; there are none of the family in Africa. You've seen African algae eaters; they are your appropriate choice.
    I assume you'll be sticking with the riverine Cichlid species of West Africa? I can help you with a stocking list should you be interested.

Dave
    Note to self: Do South American biotope for Plecos.

Actually, Dave, I've not seen African algae eaters. Or if I have I've not realized what I was seeing. Is it African algae eaters, one species? Or African algae eaters, more than one species?

Edit: Oh. You mean the ones I've read about. I can't remember exactly which fish they were as I skimmed because I'm looking specifically for a Pleco. I seem to remember them being largish... I'll go do more searching and see what I come up with and give them more attention.

What would be your suggestion for stocking? I'm going with Pelvicachromis taeniatus Yellow Nigerian or Dehanes, Congo Tetras, and Synodontis nigriventris. Not dead set on the Congo Tetras... But can't seem to find anything else that's as pretty.
    Last edited by Pickles; 02-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Sailor. Like feeding a Pleco, huh? Where you feed algae wafers. Before the fish go in I'll make sure I've the appropriate food on hand for everyone.