· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danio Primer

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karbomb
    in this primer you said CPD's do not tolerate tropical temperatures. i am confused, my 10g is set to 74 and though i only have one (he schools with my glowlights) he seems to be doing very well. what is the ideal temp for the little guy? i am planning on getting more and possibly breeding them (in my 3g). so if you could possibly pm me and let me know anything about breeding these guys, i would be thankful. also could i keep cherry shrimp in the breeding tank? or would the shrimp eat the fry?
    Kar,
    I said they said they are ideal for the 75-degree tank. They don't do well in the high 70's and low 80's of most tropical tanks. They do best between 72 and 75, thus your tank is pretty much perfect for him, temperature-wise.
    If you ever get into well-planted tanks, a 20 gallon would be a pretty sight with 24-36 CPD's and 12 Danio choprai.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Kar,
    I said they said they are ideal for the 75-degree tank. They don't do well in the high 70's and low 80's of most tropical tanks. They do best between 72 and 75, thus your tank is pretty much perfect for him, temperature-wise.
    If you ever get into well-planted tanks, a 20 gallon would be a pretty sight with 24-36 CPD's and 12 Danio choprai.

Dave
    oh, sorry i must have misread. my 10g is pretty well planted. i am actually adding more so it will definitely be more dense soon. if it wasn't so hard to move a 10g i would definitely get a 20g. living in the city i have to move pretty often, once a year and fish-tanks are a chore. but once i settle down i would love to get a huge tank have a lot of schooling fish. please do pm me about their breeding habits, i am very interested and there is little info out there.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great post Dave!!! Another great serving of great aquarist knowledge.....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome write up! Im a big Danio Fan, and I really enjoyed reading this! I also learned some great new stuff including about the CPD's which I think I would really like. Im gonna try and find a pic of them because im very curious!
    Tank1) 10G-Partially plant, Comm Tank. Topfin 10G Biobag Filter, small airstone. Some plastic plants for now. Lots of Java Moss on bridge like lavarock, 1 mini Sword in pot, floating clump of Riccia, water sprite, both floating and planted. 2-14W CFL's "Daylight". 3 WPG.
    6 Danios (4 zebra,2 Leopard)
    3 Albino Cory Cats
    3 Otos

Tank2) 2.5 G Betta Tank. Tiny Tetra Whisper filter w/ airpump. Java Moss,floating water sprite, Riccia Fluitans. Male Crowntail Betta. 1 Small gold mystery snail

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up eleven zebra danios today at my LFS on a whim. I placed four of them in my 10g planted tank that's in the process of growing and then the other seven in my 29g because I wanted some fish that stayed in the top level of the water.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Very educational Dave! Thanks for the lesson.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

7. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks A Lot The Information Was very Useful
    Soundar A
    30 G Freshwater 2 Black Moor & 1 VeilTail
    10 G 5 Male and 1 Female Fancy Guppy Breeder

Awards Showcase

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy Right on. - Wild Turkey Congrats on your award! - Brookfish you need more gifts! - The Red Severum 
    I hope your nose is okay! :) - invadertoast Thanks for the PM - William Official Muskateer Symbol - The Red Severum BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum FUNNIEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    thanks - mommy1 MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum Kaz: Supreme Predictor - robflanker congratulations for your awards - mommy1 thanks for the game - mommy1 
    Fun game! - KingFisher I just won the lottery! - Lab_Rat Have a pig - Agassizii for being a good guy - The Red Severum congratulations! - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't exactly say glofish are on the market as very few countries do not have a ban on selling geneticly modifed animals.
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    \O/

This is a fantastic wealth of knowledge! Thank you so much.

I had no idea Zebras would breed so often. I have, I think, 4 females and 3 males. I know two of the females are of egg-laying age and size.

I'll have to try it out. :D

Thanks again for the great info!

10. Default Danios

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Dave.
    Perfect timing for me to find this article.
    I'm moving next weekend and when I half Drained my Danio tank I stopped and checked my emails to take a break.
    When I went back it looked like there was a bunch of mosiquito's on my tank in the water. I had to do a second look!!!!
    My one Danio seemed fat but I thought it was overfeeding.
    Then I read about Zebra female Danio's having white bellies which she had.
    I just left it for awhile and she seemed fat for awhile so I quit watching.
    Until today when I wanted to drain my tank and take it to the new place and set it up for next weekend's move.
    Well that set me back a few hours cause I had to get a tank ready for them.
    Couldn't catch them cause some were on the sides so I guess they were born today when the water load was lightened.
    So now I have 4 small tanks to move.
    I cooked an egg and added some of their water to it cause I read to feed babies hard boiled egg yolks. Least that's what I do with my platties.
    The one batch I didn't and they took a long time to grow.
    So thanks again. Now I know they must be only 1 day old.