· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Save my Gourami plz

0 Not allowed!
    :( :( :-[ :-[
    Hi guys please help me.
    I have recently lost a platinum Gourami and it seems that another is soon to go. He seems to be swimming down the bottom of the tank and not coming up to eat as he normally would. They would be very showy. The others a swimming round and eating well. But this on seems to be struggling. His fin and tail are down and not flairing at all. Yesterday my "sick"Gourami just lay low and died in the morning. This condition has only just occured. I have tetras that are doing well and my 2 other gourami's are doing very well. What could be the problem?

Thanks for you help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    grendel,
    We really need your water parameters; pH, temp, general hardness, ammonia-nitrite-nitrate levels, how big is the aquarium, what are the tankmates, how long has the tank been established? Did you add anything new to the tank recently?
    It'll be near impossible to give you a diagnosis without the basic information about your tank.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Dave,

I got the Gourami's last week and have lost one. The tank is 3ft and has around 30 tetras and 3 Gourami's.

I have checked the PH and it is around 7.0 (neutral)
    GH = 8. drops ( 100 to 200 ppm)
    Temp is 26 - 28 degrees celecious

I introduced the Gourami's last weekend. The tank has been set up for 3 weeks, it was previously a goldfish tank. My tetra's are all fine and the other 2 Gourmai's seem in great spirits.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fmgrendel
    Hi Dave,

I got the Gourami's last week and have lost one. The tank is 3ft and has around 30 tetras and 3 Gourami's.

I have checked the PH and it is around 7.0 (neutral)
    GH = 8. drops ( 100 to 200 ppm)
    Temp is 26 - 28 degrees celecious

I introduced the Gourami's last weekend. The tank has been set up for 3 weeks, it was previously a goldfish tank. My tetra's are all fine and the other 2 Gourmai's seem in great spirits.
    Grendel,
    How do you acclimate your fish? What is sounds like is either a water parameter shock by too hasty acclimation, or an ammonia surge. Prior to their deaths, where the goramys acting and eating normally? There's also the possibility of the nematode intestinal worms all fish have, when the fish were captured and shipped, became so stressed that their immunity was compromised and the worms, seeking nutrients, sap what energy the fish have left and the fish just drops dead like that.
    Being set up only three weeks means your tank is still in flux, with nutrient levels all over the place. It'll be at least a month until things stabilize. Just do your weekly partial water changes, feed your fish little meals two or three times a day, don't add any more fish, and otherwise leave it alone.
    You didn't list your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Do you not have a kit? With those readings, if they are out of whack, could have caused the deaths.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thx for the response mate appreciate it. I dont have the kits to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. The gourami's were eating and seemed very happy prior to one dying and one seeming sick. Perhaps I did introduce the fish pretty quickly. But all the tetras are fine and the 2 other gourami's look very healthy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift Lasm.... - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    In my personal experience...

1st, your tank may not be properly cycled... I did that mistake, I introduced fish too quickly and the nitrates went up like crazy killing a couple of my gourmis.

2nd, I don't quite get the idea of fish tank in ft, but I did overstocked my tank ones with several gouramis, I don't know if it was natural selection, but even that the water parameters were o.k., my gourmis died of no apparent reason until some sort of natural equilibrium took place in the tank.

Since you don't have the kits for testing water parameters, and you got the fish no more than 2 weeks ago, I do recommend you take the fish back to the fish store and request them a water test. If your water parameters are O.K. maybe the fish were sick before you got them. Maybe you can get a a guaranty for your fish.
    Luis

What fish would you like to be...???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Buy either a general test kit that allows you to test for a variety of tank chemistry levels or buy seperate ones for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (at the minimum). Drops is better than strips. With a new tank you have got to be measuring these four basic levels every day until you are sure you tank is stabile.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing such good research!! - Rue   hehe. - Tolley   nascar prize - sailor   Happy Birthday! - squirt_12   For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish   Childhood Cancer - NickFish   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish   

0 Not allowed!
    How long has it been since the goldfish were in there?
    I don't think it was cycled. How often do you do water changes?

3 feet is about 35 gallons lasm

Definetly go and buy an API master test kit. Its the most important thing you'll ever buy for your fish....except maybe food.