· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's a front for ya - sailor   

Default juvinel frontosa

0 Not allowed!
    hi ther every one .i need sum help, i got 2 6-7cm fronts they came from a group if 4 .put them in a 200l (i know nt big egough for fully grown but waiting on biger tank).they both hid and wouldnt come out with light , they started liplocking ,so am thinkn they were both sub domint males left them a couple of days watching to make sure they didnt get hurt but darker slightly biger took over the hole tank and the other 1 had know where to hide so we removed him .now biger 1 hiding and very dark but both still eating fine and we orderd more but they are only 3-4 cms to early to sex.are we doing things right as we would like to build up a colony. any advice is apprecated.thanks
    Last edited by millas; 02-11-2008 at 08:04 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    they are a deep water fish they dont like alot of light
    30g 2 jewels
    30g female convict w/ fry
    10g fry tank w/ 17 convict fry
    10g 2 gouramis 1 danio
    10g hospital
    75g 19 mbuna
    my photobucket
    http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...id22c/?start=0

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Christmas Present! - Tolley   for the green terrors and their spawning :) - arkie   Congratulations on you pic's award And thanks for the help - Billythefish   for your oscar post..... - angelcakes   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey welcome to AC!

Its recommended to keep them in a group of at least 5, ideally 8-12. so there will be less stress and less aggression. you need at least like 400L tank for that. and you should provide the lake tanganiyka conditions like hard water and PH 7.5-9.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's a front for ya - sailor   

Default juvinel front

0 Not allowed!
    hi blu-ray ,yip iv got a 600 ltr tank coming for them and 4 more fronts coming for them to, ther ph is sitting just over 7.5 at the moment. when they go in the new tank if we put the less dom male in first with the 4 smaller ones then dom male will they be less aggresive ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Christmas Present! - Tolley   for the green terrors and their spawning :) - arkie   Congratulations on you pic's award And thanks for the help - Billythefish   for your oscar post..... - angelcakes   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Try to get them all in a same size and I think 1 male in a group is the best way.
    I don't know much about them, but I have heard that for gathering a good herd, you should remove the dom male, after weeks remove the next dom one, continue it to make sure others are all females then add 1 male!
    as I said I'm not experienced in it. maybe others can help you better.

Good luck.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    Frontosa are hard to sex until they get between 4 -5 inches then you have to vent them. Males and females will both lip lock its a dominance issue. The best set up for them is a 125 gal 6ft or bigger. The minimum recommended is a 5ft long tank. They need the long tank for escape. Try taking out both fish for about an hour, put them in a rubbermaid tote with a bubbler with some of the tank water. Arrange a cave or rocky section at each end of the tank. Replace the fronts back into the tank. That should reduce the aggression level. Once you start adding new fish into the tank, rearange it a little bit before hand as it will make for easier introducing of other fish. You can safely put 10-12 juvies in a 6ft tank and raise them to the stage of being able to vent them (approx 4+inches) usually about a year and a half. Venting is the only way to 100% correctly distinguish male from female. Then you can cull out any excess males. The ideal ratio for them is 1 male - 3 or more females. So in your 6ft tank you could have 2 male and 6 or 7 females. I hope this helps.

Good luck with your venture
    Sailor
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to ac!!! post up an intro....Sailor's got arfican rifts down so follow him......
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Back at ya - sailor   here's a front for ya - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RainMan   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - RainMan   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey sailor... why is venting the way to determine male from female? When you say, vent, you mean releasing excess air in their swimbladder,right? Just making sure I know what venting is.
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    Venting is a way to determine a fishes sex by the appearance of their reproductive organs. With frontosa it is usually easier once they hit the 4 - 5 inch mark.

Here is a link
    http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthr...hlight=venting

This front site is fantastic for any information required on frontosa

Sailor
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Back at ya - sailor   here's a front for ya - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RainMan   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - RainMan   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh... that is a confusing term... especially because they are a deep water species. I didn't know that... learn something new everyday. Great site too... I'll keep a bookmark for sure. Thanks again!
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)