· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Shrimp Molt

Default Shrimp Molt

0 Not allowed!
    ok so i found a shrimp molt in my tank, kinda scary ( i thought one had died ) lol. I left it in there casue i read its good source of calcium. anyway how often do amano shrimp molt? and is jus cause they're growing, happy, sad or what?

thanks

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp are like insects, they have to shed the exoskeleton so they can grow. Unlike insects though, they will also molt in response to changes in their environment or other stressful conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    k i dont think they're stressed - they ar always happily searching through this and that.

They are fairly new though.. maybe 3 weeks could that be it??

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I understand, they grow fast when young... So expect alot of this goin on!
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

0 Not allowed!
    Growing young shrimp will molt every 2-3 weeks adults on the other hand will molt every 1-2 months - it is part of shrimp life and females molt more as they molt everytime they are getting ready to breed so it is hard to say how often exactely.

I always add some cold water to the tank now and again as it helps the shrimp molt easier
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks evryone!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yup its common man in newly growing shrimp they'll molt like twice a month when they start they will eat up the molt though... kinda disguisting but they will....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My shrimp seen to hide for a day or so after they molt so don't be suprised id you can't find them.
    28 Gallon Bowfront
    9 Cardinal Tetra
    2 Ottocinclus
    3 Red Crystal Shrimp

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have a singapore wood shrimp and one day i woke up and he was bright red and not eating or moving. (he is usually brown or blue)
    and i almost freaked out, but then there was this huge molt about an inch from him. i took it out of the water cos he is a filter feeder and can't eat it. but my ghosties molt every few weeks