· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Lavender bullies

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

I just joined this forum today and i was hoping someone could give me some advise concerning Lavender Gourami's. I purchased a pair to go into a freshwater tropical community tank a few weeks ago. In the past I have kept gourami's successfully with no aggression problems what so ever. The other fish that were in the tank included swordtails, angels, mixed coryodoras, glowlight tetra and a platy. Unfortunately the male gourami became very territorial and took command of 2/3rds of a mature 120 litre aquarium. He blow a bubble nest which remained for a few days but on its dispersion he became less aggressive allowing the other fish to move freely around the tank. Happily i thought this would be the end of the problem but no such luck. A few days later the aggression was bk but this time the female had also joined in!! I then noticed a significant amount of fry under a leaf in the males territory. Between them the gouramis have seen off 2 angels, 4 swordtails, a glowlight, and the platy within 24 hours. The remaining 2 angels being pinned down to one end of the tank. Does anyone have information or know where i can research these fish as I'd like to know more about their origin and behaviour. Thanx Loopy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Lavenders are a color morph from the original Three spot gourami - Trichogaster trichopterus. If you search google under the latin name you can find lot's of info.

I think the problem is your tank is too small to house different types of dominant territorial fish... this does not allow the other larger fish to escape the breeding Gourami's. 120 Liters is 30 Gallons. In a tank that size I would only keep the Lavenders and some smaller schooling fish as dithers... not any other larger fish as territory wise it does not work as you have found out.

Congrats on the fry!!!
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi thanx for the reply the info is much appreciated.

I have to say I was rather amazed that they have bred in a community tank and so quickly, they've certainly taken us by surprise!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to ac and hpefully you find everything your looking for!!!!
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with a Lavender. Can you please post a picture? I love gouramis and am curious.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    I am not familiar with a Lavender. Can you please post a picture? I love gouramis and am curious.
    Hi this is a piccie of the male
    Loopy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Angels need about 15 gallons each. Your gourami's are aggressive especially right now because they are protecting their babies.