· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I'd like your opinion on my stock plan, please.

0 Not allowed!
    After a couple of weeks of reading up on tons and tons of species and habitats, I do believe I have finally decided on my tank. I've researched adult sizes, water preferences, food preferences, personalities, etc. I have a 45 gallon tank (48x12x18), top fin 60 power filter, water is a constant 80 F, pH mostly steady (at the moment) around 7.0/7.2, water hardness at a constant 120 ppm, black gravel, tall plastic bushy plants, lots of little hiding places, and a makeshift shaded area (placed a cloth under the light to subdue a bit-this is temporary). I'll be adding live Java Fern and Java Moss later on. What do you think about Water Sprites?

Ok, that's my tank background. Here's what I would like to stock:

10 bleeding heart tetras (already there cycling) @ 3 inches when full grown
    3 Corydoras trilineatus, 2 male 1 female @ 2.5 inches when full grown
    2 Colisa lalia (dwarf gourami) 1 male 1 female @ 2 inches when full grown
    6 Fancy Guppies all males @ 1.2 inches when full grown

That puts me at exactly 43.7 inches total of fish. Using the general rule of 1 inch of fish per gallon, this should work technically. Should.

I know to add them at about 3 week intervals. I'll do that one species at a time.

The tetras will be the main fish in the tank for the simple reason that they deserve it, they will be largest, and I love these handsome guys. After all, they are helping to establish their home, I should make them kings of the tank! :D

Any suggestions or comments you have is greatly appreciated. I feel that I am doing the proper research, but I'm afraid that I may miss something. I'm not looking to dive into breeding just yet, so I was hoping for an all male tank, but I understand the harmony of the environment depends on some species requiring a female.

Thanks again for any advice or suggestions you may have for me. And sorry about the novel!

p.s. I was originally planning on a malawi mbuna tank, but when I realized I would have to completely redo my tank setup, I decided I would just work with what I already have.

*edit* forgot to add that I will be installing a sponge filter to help keep up with the fish wastes.
    This is my witty and clever signature. You like? :)

0 Not allowed!
    Is this the tank you had the disease in ? if so I would wait a little longer before introducing anything new what so ever.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, my tank isn't done cycling yet. I won't be introducing anything until I get steady readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20-40 nitrate.

I've read that over and over again, so that's stapled in my head.

This is my plan for when my tank IS ready. Does it sound ok to you?

0 Not allowed!
    yes that should work. However i would add a bristlnosed pleco as well. Will put you a little over the line but will be ok.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh good! I love those guys, but I didn't know if I would have enough room for him.

Thank you, William.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like it is going to be a beautiful tank....and I second adding the bristlenose, we love those little buggers, always hard at work, never bother anyone and so fugly they are adorable! :D
    I planned on getting another to add to my 64 gallon after seeing how well my (female I think) albino is doing in my 29, but then I ended up with a rescued plec that I took off someone else's hands so I need to wait and see how big BB ends up being.