· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Dark Algae

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Dark Algae

0 Not allowed!
    Is dark algae not right? What causes this. Btw I have my fluresent light on for my plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    less light in the tank and water changes will deplete nutrients. If the tank is planted you shouldn't have algae problems as the plants should suckup the nutrients... try to keep the lights off and keep the tank away from open windows....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default dark algae

0 Not allowed!
    It's been my experience, and other people I know that the black algae grows in lower ph water. Crushed coral helps, my brother keeps a bag of it in his filter, I just mixed some right in the substrate. You might want to do some ph checks and aim for what the fish you have like. Perhaps aim for the higher side. My brother and I both had the black algae slowly die out. Patience, it takes time. At one time my tank had everything coated with it, sometimes it would even get feathery, it was hard to even scrub off. At a higher ph you will get more green algae. Plecos help with the green, but not much with the black. Seems even they couldn't get it off the rocks.
    Furface

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean blue-green algae? If so, it is a bacteria and should be treated differently.
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    no,its brown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    brown algae is a diatom so this changes everything.......... I would do a slight water change to flush some nutrients out but not a huge one as your other plants need nuts also..... Increase the light in your tank and if you have room grab some oto cats.... 3-4 work best.....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."