· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default what to look for when buying oscar food

0 Not allowed!
    with all the different brands out there I was wondering how do you tell the difference between the good and the not so good.I am now feeding my Oscars frozen blood worms 2 times a week, spirulian 5 times a week and and the rest of the time cichlid pellets.I feed them 3 times a day. I have 2 different brands of cichlid pellets as there were a large number to choose from in my store.1 OF THE BRANDS IS MADE UP OF 33% protein and the other is 48% protein.IS IT AS SIMPLE AS The higher protein the better the food is ?

Should i add anything else to my Oscars diet or make any changes ? I was thinking of getting some dried shrimp tomorrow and giving it to the 3 times a week

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    hello,i got myslf 2 baby oscars not so long ago and ive been feeding them on live worms and dont know if you can get these where you are but i also use hikari cichlid excel,they offer all the nutrients of wheat germ and spirulina + others,they come in 2 sizes medium pellet and mini pellet,im using mini at the moment, also i beleive when bigger you can feed them slugs,the oscars so i learnt on the forum do enjoy live foods and is good in there diet,give them a go,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Look for New Life Spectrum. It is truly complete and balanced and the best diet for any fish. It is the ONLY thing ANY of my fish get because it is that much better. Even if they don't have it in the LFS, get it online, it is THAT much better.

Those percentages for protein and other macronutrients do not necessarily reflect what the fish can get out of it. They need high quality protein, not just lots of it. When they calculate those they are doing it in a lab, which may pull a lot of protein out of ingredients that the fish can't get the protein out of. High quality ingredients in foods like NLS are in bioavailable forms, meaning the fish can actually get it.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    Look for New Life Spectrum. It is truly complete and balanced and the best diet for any fish. It is the ONLY thing ANY of my fish get because it is that much better. Even if they don't have it in the LFS, get it online, it is THAT much better.

Those percentages for protein and other macronutrients do not necessarily reflect what the fish can get out of it. They need high quality protein, not just lots of it. When they calculate those they are doing it in a lab, which may pull a lot of protein out of ingredients that the fish can't get the protein out of. High quality ingredients in foods like NLS are in bioavailable forms, meaning the fish can actually get it.
    that has been the problem as I have looked for it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't get the NLS, stick with the good name brands like Harika Gold or some of the other better brands.

If you have an Oscar, you may want to remove the charcoal, as well. It is "suspected" that charcoal can lead to Hole In The Head. Only suspected, not proven so why take the chance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed my Oscars hikari bio gold+(pellets), hikari bloodworms, hikari krill.... Hikari has been the best food on the market for years... that is until new life spectrum took over... Best of luck with your Oscars... Takesome pics so we can see....
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for listening and supproting me thanks - mitcore   congrats on the preg - mitcore   Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   yay for saving neglected fishies!! :) - shalafi04   Happy B'day - donvichu   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Melbfish,
    You can get the NLS in the land down under, maybe have look at a couple of different fish shops, there is only 1 here in Ballarat that stocks it, other wise there are several places that you can get it on line, including ebay, and it is already here in Australia, but it really good, food, just have a look for it.

Cheers!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have A Gift! :) - MeganL3985   nascar prize - sailor   dry these and give them to your Oscar..LOL - OscarFan   just cuz..... - Kuli_Loach   

0 Not allowed!
    question, i was wondering do they make a small pellet like the hikari gold mini pellets for the NLS? i really wanted to buy some.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    nls cichlid formula is small 3mm
    nls lg fish formula is also small about 4mm or so
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have A Gift! :) - MeganL3985   nascar prize - sailor   dry these and give them to your Oscar..LOL - OscarFan   just cuz..... - Kuli_Loach   

0 Not allowed!
    yea but my oscar isnt real big yet, so 3mm is as big as the hikari mini pellets?