· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Spotted needlefish feeding

0 Not allowed!
    I recently bought a spotted needlefish, pretty much the same thing as a needlefish except appearently they grow a bit longer (56cm). He will not eat anything. The fish store told me that they have been feeding them rosy reds. I dont have anything against feeding fish feeders but I think it would be very practical to train the needlefish to eat prepared foods. Does anyone know how to do that?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a needlenose, and it's really hard to get them to eat anything not live I've found. Eventually, we got ours to go after sinking carnivore pellets. Unfortunatly, with the way they get their food, it was really had for him to catch the pellets. We just kept him on feeder guppies.
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are extremely picky eaters. Setup a quarentine and run feeders.
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I might get an other small tank for the feeders. How big should it be, 5, 10 gallons?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, that depends on how many feeders you're going to keep at a time. You should definatly look into breeding some of the easier feeders. Eventually, you'll be able to feed your needlenose all home grown fish, and you'll be certian to introduce no lfs disease. Do some research, maybe even post a new thread in here regarding what's easiest to breed. Then buy your tank to meet those needs.

The common rule of thumb is to quarantine feeders for an entire month before feeding. I never did, but that's definatly the safest way to do it. With all the waiting, it would probably be easier for you to just breed them.
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll definately look into that, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately Im going to have to just buy a feeder or two and drop them into the tank soon. I've had him for three days and I havent fed him.