· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Banana Plants

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Banana Plants

0 Not allowed!
    I've been reading about banana plants, as well as other plants that can live in brackish water, for awhile now. Yesterday, I got two banana plants. I didn't do anything with them besides take them out of the bag last night, but today I decided to take all the guppies out of my ten gallon tank and put them in there, so they would be much closer to a light source. I also put a young female guppy with fungus on her tail in there so she wouldn't spread it to the other fish. She doesn't look good. I dosed with Melafix today and hopefully she'll survive. If she doesn't, she'll help fertilize the tank for the banana plants. I also cleaned out all the duckweed (there wasn't much) so it wouldn't obstruct the light.
    Does anyone have any tips or stories about banana plants? How long do you think it will be before they send up their floating leaves? They have several bright green leaves, but one doesn't have much in the root department, so it got left floating, at least for now. The tubers have some brown on them.
    Colors Fade...
    but
    BLACK is Forever

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest, I havent had much experience with banan plants. Alot of people havent had much luck with them. Be sure not to bury the tubers. And if your female guppy dies, dispose of the body. The plants wont use the nutrients from the rotting body.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Banana plants are not brack water plants.they prefer water on the med soft side and an acidic ph.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK I'll get rid of her body if she dies. I know not to bury the tubers, just the roots.
    I read that they can tolerate brackish water. I doubt many plants really thrive in brackish water, but they are supposed to be able to handle it. Does anyone have experience or a story they've read to back up the claim that they're not like that? If not, I'll find out soon enough.
    I was thinking of getting some other plants so please tell me if they can't live in brackish water. They are: Anubias, dwarf hairgrass, and (maybe) Anarchis.
    Colors Fade...
    but
    BLACK is Forever

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Java moss anf fern can tolerate brackish water.

I've heard that vallinersia can also tolerate brackish water, as well as anubias.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty