· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs Another fish for your AC tank! - Northernguy No Message - Mith you  really need a  pair - bushwhacker oh  i see  got  got  a  mate  for  it - bushwhacker 
    Thanks for you kind words! - Brookfish you deserved  it  anyway - bushwhacker Good Sport! - Rue Sorry for your loss - Celtic Fins sorry for ur loss - Neon 
    Congrats on the award! - Brookfish Thanks for the rep points & your welcome - Celtic Fins Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins Thank you so much for your service! - Mith congrats on the award! - Brookfish 
    Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New Year! - gabbyguppy Happy New Year! - gabbyguppy Here is a cory that will never ever give you any problems! - annageckos sorry for your frustration and loss - gabbyguppy 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lahlumdi 

Default Schooling and territories

0 Not allowed!
    My tank has had the same number of fish for awhile. 1 Beta, 11 Neons, 7 Rummy Nose tetras and 4 Corys. I was going to add 1 Panda Cory. However the German pet store I frequent didn't think that was a good idea. She convinced me to get 4-5 more of another school. I THOUGHT these were tetras. Now that I study it, I find out they are Tiger Barbs. (Language barrier - I don't speak or read German - they just tell me - these are peaceful fish that will be compatible with your other ones).

It was fascinating watching these 4 Tiger Barbs get introduced into my well established tank.

Immediately the Tiger Barbs tried to school with the Rummy Noses. At first I thought it was cute. I know Rummy Noses like schools and hoped they would make a nice big school. Then I realized the Rummy Noses were upset. They kept going around and round in circles trying frantically to escape from those Tiger Barbs. One Barb, the littlest one, would get behind and they'd lose him. He'd look confused. Then rejoice and catch up with everyone else again. And the Rummy Noses would dive and hide in the weeds and take off again.

The neons who have established territory near the top left corner looked on all of this mildly amused. They'd get out of the way when it got too excited.

My Beta who ignores everyone else went into hiding under the plants, and kept peeking out at the action. The Cories seemed oblivious and just did their own thing.

The next morning I discovered a fascinating thing, which has remained true ever since.

All the previous fish are back at their usual station with their usual activity. The Neons in the upper third on the left. The Rummy Noses have claimed the entire front corridor in the lower third. The Beta loves to hover around the thermometer and branches out from there as he pleases. The Corys happily fiend for themselves along the bottom and occasionally Mr. Salmon race up the stream of the filter.

And the Barbs... the just dart back and forth along the mid level of the back whipping in and out of my plants along the back and swooping through the stream of the filter. They seem to be thrilled to have found their own space.

It is so curious to me that each bunch of fish enjoys being with their own kind and has found their own space.

Had I researched the Tiger Barbs, I don't know that I would have added them... as I have since read they are rather agrressive in the tank compared to the others. On the other hand, they are fascinating to watch. The rest of the fish seem to have adjusted to having them around.

On occasion I feel like the need a stop light to establish the traffic patterns!

I am always fascinated at watching the new fish react to their new home.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting.

I love just sitting in front of my tank and watch the different behaviors of my fish.
    Luis

What fish would you like to be...???

Awards Showcase

beer party! - cocoa_pleco have a margarita on me... - digital3 congrats on the angels! - cocoa_pleco heres a drink too.... i dont like drinking alone - arkie have a burger! - cocoa_pleco 
    and a beer... - cocoa_pleco and a slush for desert! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 
    cuz u needed a gift from me and I have no idea what this is lol - richberstler Happy Holidays! - digital3 happy new year - arkie Here's some candy I stole from Lindsay. Haha! - KcEE For a new mate, - CAX474 
    to the soon to be professional fish breeder! - cocoa_pleco Zachery Ty Bryan Award - richberstler Happy Birthday Dillon - OscarFan Here's a Cafe Latte for you! - KcEE Get well soon!!! - KcEE 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - mitcore Childhood Cancer - mitcore Hepatitis C - mitcore 

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like something good to watch,

i would sit there for hrs
    3ft
    tetras ,platties ,guppies,corys
    4 bristle noses,peacock eel,sword tails
    paradise fish
    1 male betta, a female betta
    bumble bee gobi, harliquin rasbroas, mystery snails
    4ft
    angels, gouramis, bristle noses,3 silver fin sharks
    widows,khulis,severums
    corys ,rainbows,keyholes,snails, 4 bristle noses
    congo tetras,
    breeder tank
    angel breeding pair
    3ft divided angel breeder
    1 breeding pair,fry and ghost knife
    platty tank
    1 river fish,platties
    G,O,T

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank is this?

As a comment to yours, it is never a good idea to add a single specimen schooling fish (panda cory) to any tank, but maybe the other 4 corys in there were also pandas?

Fishkeeping 101 involves a lot of research. Easy to make mistakes early on, we have ALL done it at one point or another!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ug, tiger barbs... my folks love theirs but i've always found them to get too big fot my neons and they start to bully a bit. but that is just one mans experience/preference

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs Another fish for your AC tank! - Northernguy No Message - Mith you  really need a  pair - bushwhacker oh  i see  got  got  a  mate  for  it - bushwhacker 
    Thanks for you kind words! - Brookfish you deserved  it  anyway - bushwhacker Good Sport! - Rue Sorry for your loss - Celtic Fins sorry for ur loss - Neon 
    Congrats on the award! - Brookfish Thanks for the rep points & your welcome - Celtic Fins Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins Thank you so much for your service! - Mith congrats on the award! - Brookfish 
    Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New Year! - gabbyguppy Happy New Year! - gabbyguppy Here is a cory that will never ever give you any problems! - annageckos sorry for your frustration and loss - gabbyguppy 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 gallon tank. The other corys are peppered.

The biggest problem here is that my store is stocked in German. In hindsight, I probably should have brought a book with photos of fish in English so I knew what I was getting. In some ways, this purchase was a frivolous and off-the-cuff decision, unresearched. I wanted one more fish to add to a school I already had, and thought the panda would school with the corys.

We will be here only 1 more year, and then move back to the States so hopefully the barbs won't grow too big in that year. Then I will hopefully donate the fish to a couple of school classroom aquariums or something like that. Too bad I can't take them with me. I love these fish!

0 Not allowed!
    The barbs will get big enough to terrorize the other inhabitants I think.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Wow... I had NO idea. Thanks so much for the insight. I'll keep and eye on them and perhaps need to find a new home for them sooner than I expected.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if I recall, they were slow growth and really only bothered the smaller fish. good luck!

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    fin nippers those little,,, hmm... keep barbs as species tank..........
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."