· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tetra Primer

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    I see how you are Dave...bringing old threads back...

You try to act like you are just replying to someones post when I know it is all a CIA plot to get me to buy more fish.... Well I tell ya it isn't gonna work. I Already have 2 Tetras...

Love the article again...
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru
    I see how you are Dave...bringing old threads back...

You try to act like you are just replying to someones post when I know it is all a CIA plot to get me to buy more fish.... Well I tell ya it isn't gonna work. I Already have 2 Tetras...

Love the article again...
    My next plot, guru, will get you to trade in all those itty bitty tanks for something with some SIZE on them. A 220 gallon is a nice size . . . .
    Then your two tetras could be two hundred tetras :)

Dave

3. Default Driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    Dav,
    when you speake of drift wood is there a type of drift wood that you're speaking of.
    I'm new to the hobby. I'm wanting to set up a 38g for tetras.
    I want to get as close as I can to thier natural invi. as I can.
    Anything you can pass on plants wood etc. would be great.
    Oh great read thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolbus
    Dav,
    when you speake of drift wood is there a type of drift wood that you're speaking of.
    I'm new to the hobby. I'm wanting to set up a 38g for tetras.
    I want to get as close as I can to thier natural invi. as I can.
    Anything you can pass on plants wood etc. would be great.
    Oh great read thanks.
    schoolbus,
    Thanks for the kind words. As far as driftwood goes, I get mine from an obliging, pristine lake near me, and from a web site in Florida (floridadriftwood.com), but Dwight is currently out of stock.
    I get most of my aquatic plants from him, and have for eons.
    For wood I get from the lake, I rinse it under scalding water and scrub the nooks and crannies with an old toothbrush. Some folks boil the wood, but most of my pieces are too large, odd-shaped, or long to put in a pot.
    Also, better fish stores have a selection of good pieces. Don't get any screwed on to a piece of slate, as the screw eventually rusts which is bad for a tank.
    What I look for is interesting shapes that suit the vision I have for a tank.
    There are some types of wood that automatically sink, but most wood you'll have to sink it yourself. I use stones on the ends to hold them down, siliconing them on if necessary. In a few months the wood will be waterlogged, and you can remove the rocks if you want to. I usually leave them there, as plant grow soon disguises them.
    Three most important parts of a planted tank for tetras are the lights, the substrate, and the water. The vast majority of tetras come from very soft, acidic black waters (waters stained a deep tea color by vegetative decay). Thus, you'll want your tank water to be under pH 7.0 (6.5 is best, but 6.8 is acceptable), and soft, with a hardness level of five or less. Given those water parameters, things like neon and cardinal tetras can live for more than 10 years.
    The substrate should be nutrient-rich to feed the plant roots, and the light must be full spectrum and intense for proper photosynthesis.
    I've just scratched the surface of a planted tank. I'd suggest you pick up the Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock. I believe amazon.com carries it, and better books stores have it. It'll clear things up for you, and enable you to know not only how to do a planted tank, but over 150 species of aquatic plants are listed with their care. The book will help you make educated decisions.
    If you've more questions, ask me in PM.

Dave

Awards Showcase

your 1st gift - bluebluecow Have another! - Northernguy neons do better in a shoal. - Brookfish You need another - Agassizii I think you need one of these too. - Celtic Fins 
    sorry for your loss - bluebluecow sorry for your platy - Ark6ie great looking tank - bluebluecow For Sam!! So sorry!! - King Tut Ireland to win !!!!! - Celtic Fins 
    Thanks for the rep points - Celtic Fins Thanks mate! - Brookfish Thanks for the rep points - Celtic Fins Have a Ram! - Agassizii thank you very much!!! - Mith 
    Congrats on your award! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat Happy Christmas. Have a great time - Celtic Fins For your kind words. Thanks for looking at my pics. - gabbyguppy 
    Autism - Neon 

Default A...

0 Not allowed!
    standing ovation , really great , as I have 15 neon tetra which I love , I'm thinking to print this one !!
    Neon

135 liters planted tank ( 29.696 UK Gal. or 35.66 US Gal. ) .
    2 Angel fish ( Scalare )
    8 Tetra Neons ,
    3 Otocinclus affinis ( Oto )
    3 Platies
    1 Dwarf Gouramis ( Sunset , male )
    Assasin Snail
    See pics and size details in my blog

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...al&j=351#e5804

Smile easyway live fly catcher

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=NickFish]Ok no ants, but house flies good. I'll try that with my hatchets!

Is there any type of fly that absolutely should not be fed to fish?

Thanks again![/QUOTE

Flys are great,don't forget worms and grasshoppers all my fish love them too especially my pair of Oscars. I also keep Venus flytraps in 2 of my terrariums and like to feed them once in awhile. To my amazement I have 1 in bloom right now, just no camera. To catch my flys I put a old glass milk bottle out in my garden with a small wet piece of meat in it. I leave it out for a day and bring it in covered in maggets. Now you can either feed them dirrectly or let them pupate into adults. I once caught 5 yellow jackets. My male Oscar loves them but the female will not touch them. The only nasty part of live food is choping worms up for my small fish but once you see how much they enjoy it,it's no longer a chore. Happy Holidays.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love tetra!!!! Thank you for such an enjoyable article. It was a very interesting and reassuring read!

8. Post Excellent Job

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 125 fw with about 140 fish in it presently. Mostly Tetras. I enjoyed this article. Good presentation.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the wonderful article.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Very good article, Since I was nine yrs old I have been enamered with Tetras. I know the majority of the people prefer livebearers and bigger fish like cichlids.

I prefer their mostly small sizes and for the most part good dispositions, and the variety, I can't believe how many new spieces are still being discovered.

I see that you mentined the Flag Tetra as one of your favorites, believe it or not I have never seen this beutiful fish in a dealers tank in the 43 yrs I've been involved in the hobby, and I have lived in at least one good sized city (Sacramento, Ca). Where did you find your's? Did you notice how much the Redline or Amapa tetra resembles it?

My favorites of all the ones I have kept over the years are the Cardinal, Rummynose, Lemon, Rosy, recently the Green Neon and the Stegman that I was only able to find once.