· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Pictus, how active is it supposed to be?Mine hides...

0 Not allowed!
    How active are Pictus Catfish supposed to be? I bought mine yesterday and for the first 3-4hours it was very active exploring the aquarium then it went into the woodlog house and didn't come out at all. I went to work and came back and it was still in there. I thought it may have died so I tried looking in but I couldn't see it. I tapped the glass to maybe spook it a bit, but nothing. I flashed the light in there, but still couldn't see it. I feared the worst, so I removed the house to look for it. I lifted it and wasn't on the bottom, then suddenly it came out. I was relieved that it was alive. I got it away from the house and put the house back in the spot. 5 minutes later it went in and I haven't seen it since (10hrs), obviously I'm not watching the tank constantly. I haven't seen it eat anything and I can't see inside the house in the corner that it was in without lifting the house itself. Should this worry me? Ph is right between 7.2-7.8, ammonia is in higher safe zone, Nitrate/Nitrite are good, there is no chlorine. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of the house, it's not in the cave but inside the cavity through doors/windows at the very bottom right (only spot I can't see). It's a 55g tank.
    Last edited by systemdown; 01-18-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Not only does he have a new home to get used to, catfish are night fish. He'll come out when the tank lights are off.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Not only does he have a new home to get used to, catfish are night fish. He'll come out when the tank lights are off.
    I couldn't help it but I lifted the house again (2nd time) just to make sure it's still alive. And it is alive and looks well. I put the house back in spot and instantly it flew right in through the window. It is totally dark inside where it hangs out. I guess I'll have to turn the lights off and wait for it to come out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, most catfish are nocturnal. If you turn on a small lamp on the other side of the room and turn the other lights off, you may be able to see him come out and forage for food.
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well here's some news: I turned off all the lights for the night and went to bed. This morning I went down to my basement, turned on the room light and peeked into the tank. Swimming around throughout the tank was my Catfish . It didn't take it long before it ran for cover, it took refugee in the cave under the house. Then it moved to its home. I'm glad that it's active, even though I won't be seeing it much....Maybe when I get couple more Pictus' they will venture out during the day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Pictus also like company of their own kind.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    My pictus is very active all the time, btw I never shut my tank lights off should I?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first plant - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   here is one on me! - smaug   for help in time of need!!!!! - jbeining75   have a gift - mitcore   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, do YOU encounter daylight ALL the time in nature? Do you think your fish like to sleep? lol. yes you should turn it off. algae wil lgrow, and the fish like to sllep.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    So algea grows when I turn off my light? I have way too much anyways.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski   Drink up! - Drumachine09   For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09   For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish   HIV/AIDS - tropfish   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish   

0 Not allowed!
    bison, that's probably why you have so much algea, i would shoot for 8-10 hrs of light each day
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta