· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stu the turtle

1. Default Stu the turtle

0 Not allowed!
    I never realized that we had this section, i guess i never scrolled down this far. i have a one year old RES named Stu. Stu is great and this is how i got to getting into fish. when he grew out of his 20gal i had a random tank left over so needless to say i got some fish and here i am now.

If people have the ability they should try turtles there wonderful and have lots of personality. here is a pic of Stu from earlier in the year and ill post some pics of his enclosure. also if anyone needs help with turtles you can just ask away.

What a cute little guy!

Right now he is in a 20gal long tank. he is about 1.75" SCL at the moment. Turtles need at least 10 gal per inch of turtle. Male RES get about 9-10" or so and females will get larger 10-12" so eventually i will need a huge tank or pond. turtles need a lot of filtration and i have an elite stingray submersible filter rated at 60 gallons. they need to have water in the 78-82* range and something to break the surface tension of the water like an air pump otherwise there will be a scum that will form. you will need a UVB bulb, i have a compact florescent kind or they cant get their vitamin A and D and will soon get sick and die. they also need a basking spot with a UVA bulb, normal reptile heat bulbs will work and the temp of the basking area needs to be 85-90*. turtles need to bask in order to digest food turtles dirty the water realy fast so you need to clean it once a week which is a lot of work. it is all worth it though. they will beg for food and they all have their own quirks and personality's
    Last edited by dustinpedley; 03-10-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
    -- Albert Einstein

The best SouthPark Clips ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoficmIg2FQ&NR=1

0 Not allowed!
    wow he is cute
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I had turtles when I was a child...but it wasn't a good time to have turtles...not enough information about turtle care was available...

Stu is adorable!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks i will get some better pics up when my camera has stopped being broken.

-- Albert Einstein

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I loooooooooooove your turtle ... I had two when I was young... But knew nothing about them... And they died...
    Say, can you tell us a little about your set up for this kind of turtle?
    *but discretly, I don't want my boyfriend to know that I'm interested in another kind of pet *
    21 gal: 4 Ornate, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto, 7 Amano, 1 Peckoltia-10 gal: 4 Betta rutilans, 6 Galaxy, 1 Cherry, 1 Hillstream -5 gal: 2 Endlers, snail, tiger shrimp-15 gal: 2 Peckoltia, 6 threadfin R.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a red ear slider turtle. They need a 40g tank atleast, 65-75g is more ideal, because they can get somewhat big. It costs a lot to set up a turtle tank.. They are really neat though.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp88
    They need a 40g tank atleast, 65-75g is more ideal, because they can get somewhat big. It costs a lot to set up a turtle tank.. They are really neat though.
    they need more than that its more like 100-120 gal. its expensive at first but well worth it they are more interactive and have more personality than any fish that ive had
    -- Albert Einstein

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i was always told 75g is best, thanks for the information.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp88
    i was always told 75g is best, thanks for the information.
    yah the rule is a minimum of 10 gal per inch of turtle. a 10-12" turt needs a 100-120gal
    -- Albert Einstein

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your turtle is very nice!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast