· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    How would it be set up? I am unfamiliar with sumps in general.
    if your tanks tempered, you need a overflow box, if not you can drill. water goes from the tank to the sump, and theres dividers in the sump for the media. you can put some floss, then bioballs, ceramic rings, java moss, etc. and in the final divider theres a large powerhead that flows water back to the main tank.

sumps are usually used on SW tanks 55g+ and FW tanks 150g+

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh, I understand. Thanks for the clarification!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a corydoras. - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nanaglen2001
    I got an Eheim 2250, the smaller brother of the big Eheim2260. Great filter, but when it comes to cleaning, its just a "classical" one. With lots of srewing and so on. In this case the Fluval is more practical, at least the Fluval 104 - 404 series. But on the other hand, it took me ages to set up my Fluval 204 filter. But cleaning it, whow its sheer fun (if filter cleaning can be called that).

With Eheim its really solid quality and you can buy spare parts I dunno, about 20 years or so after the series has run out. Eheims are more or less indistructable. I know folks with 20 year old Eheims which run like hell.

With Fluval I dont know yet. I have to wait and see.

One advantage of the FX5 is a big one: it would fit into my cabinet, the 2260 has been too high, even the 2250 is pretty big.

When I ever need a new big canister Filter, I always would go for the Eheim Pro III biut also I would have a DIY cabinet (more space) with a much bigger tank.

Last oppinion I guess to buy either Eheim or Fluval is just a matter of taste.

whats inside of there that seperates it from a 5 gallon bucket with a pump on top of it with some pipe fittings on it.

Im prettty sire I could make one of those for about 20 bucks without the pump...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll tell you when the 2260 gets here. It must not be that easy to make one, otherwise the sales would plummet.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a corydoras. - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    that is sort of what I am thinking, there has to be something that eperates it from a bucket full of media with a pump on top of it, lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would think that, in part, it is the quality of the pump and the specification of such to be able to draw the water through the media.
    8 tanks running now:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    whats inside of there that seperates it from a 5 gallon bucket with a pump on top of it with some pipe fittings on it.

Im prettty sire I could make one of those for about 20 bucks without the pump...
    It's way more than a "bucket with pump in it".

There actually a fair amount of research and development that goes into the making of a canister filter. There are a whole bunch of considerations like:
    - making sure that there are no dead zones
    - making sure that clean water doesn't mix with dirty water
    - making sure that all the dirty water flows through the media
    - minimizing problems with clogging media
    - Properly sealing the canister to minimize pressure losses and air infultration

That's setting aside the "techinical" issues like making it as small as possible, having a powerful enough pump and such.

They may seem expensive, but there's a lot of work that goes into making them.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. I also think that it is worth the cost to get a nice canister. I mean, I got the 2260 for $260 or so shipped. I will end up spending another...oh, probably $120 on media and such. However, this is a filter that will run. And run. And run. My oldest Eheim is something like 5 years old. Zero problems. Cost spread out makes it seem more reasonable.
    8 tanks running now:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing wrong with a canister. Better for smaller to medium tanks. But I still think for the larger tanks, sumps are better. I should have paid more attention to all the stuff I read...can't explain it properly...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed