· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Actually, for a sump below the main tank you do the same thing you're planning, just backwards.

You make a hole near the top of the main tank where water will overflow into the sump and them use a pump to push it back up into the main tank. The water coming out of the main tank equals the water pumped out of the sump and if the power goes out, the water stops flowing out of the main tank.

Unless you have an overflow built into the tank. In that case, there is a housing that holds your piping. The water overflows into the housing and gravity takes it through the hosing out the bottom of the tank. At least that's how the overflows in my tank and the ones I've seen work. A DIY one I guess you could drill out through the back of your tank and through hosing from there...
    The former ZCciVic22!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car; Oversteer is when you hit with the rear. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Christmas Present! - Tolley   for the green terrors and their spawning :) - arkie   Congratulations on you pic's award And thanks for the help - Billythefish   for your oscar post..... - angelcakes   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Actually, for a sump below the main tank you do the same thing you're planning, just backwards.

You make a hole near the top of the main tank where water will overflow into the sump and them use a pump to push it back up into the main tank. The water coming out of the main tank equals the water pumped out of the sump and if the power goes out, the water stops flowing out of the main tank.
    yeah that works, but i prefer the water get sucked from the bottom of the tank so we have more mechanical filtration because most of debris sink to the lower levels of the water. theres more chance to get them straightly if the inlet is at lowest place. also i put my powerhead as low as possible.

however theres still some ways to solve it in under tank sumps, like the pic i've attached, it keeps the balance between input and output and also take the water from lowest level. but after all, i don't want to make hole on my tanks. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift...keep up all of the good work....  :) - squirt_12   For keeping a cool head! - coachfraley   to the SW expert! - cocoa_pleco   a fish for your 90g. - squirt_12   for your awesome 90g! - squirt_12   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - spudbuds   

0 Not allowed!
    If the power goes out and your powerhead stops pumping, gravity will continue to let the water flow from the sump to the main tank. So, I assume the water level in your main tank will be low enough to hold the water of the sump above the return line?
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Christmas Present! - Tolley   for the green terrors and their spawning :) - arkie   Congratulations on you pic's award And thanks for the help - Billythefish   for your oscar post..... - angelcakes   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spudbuds
    If the power goes out and your powerhead stops pumping, gravity will continue to let the water flow from the sump to the main tank. So, I assume the water level in your main tank will be low enough to hold the water of the sump above the return line?
    if the powerhead stops working, nothing will happen and no water will return to main tank anymore. all compartments stay full of water, and only a small amount of water in the last compartment that is upper than outlet hole will go back to the tank. i have shown the water level of compartments in this pic.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift...keep up all of the good work....  :) - squirt_12   For keeping a cool head! - coachfraley   to the SW expert! - cocoa_pleco   a fish for your 90g. - squirt_12   for your awesome 90g! - squirt_12   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - spudbuds   

0 Not allowed!
    Right, that's what I meant. You couldn't have your tank completely full because of the small amount of water above the return line. Sounds like you have it under control. Good job!

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Bill.

today i tested it again to see how the hose connections work, and they leaked! i had to use silicon on them and should wait till tomorrow that they get dry and check it again.
    i think tomorrow night i can set it up on the tank.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well well well !
    finally after some failures i made it with some changes in the design.

first i filled the above sump with the media and checked it in the bathroom for last time, i filled first 2 compartments ( i learnt this word from sasquatch! lol ) with sponge and floss but unfortunately it didn't work right. you can see in the above pictures that in first compartment water should go up and it has no other way, so it does, then it reaches the second compartment and should goes down through it, but you know water always chooses the easier way! theres a dens media like floss and sponge on its way down so it goes up and pass over the divider to third compartment and doesn't go into the second one. i don't know you got it or not with my bad english! here is a pic i have shown the water path :

blue ones are sponge and floss.
    second and third compartments go off.

then i thought and thought to solve the problem. well the first comp works right, so i decided to expand the first comp for sponge and floss. i remved 2 dividers. it was not easy at all! it was heavily siliconed to the sump.

at the same time i thought ... well why not bringing the pump inside the sump instead of the tank!!? this way theres no annoying noise and harmful electro magnetic fields for fishies!! so i did it. some works on the pump and cutting its troublesome pipes and finding hose to connect the inlet of the pump to the inlet of the sump :

filled two other comps with bioballs and ceramic rings and set it up on the tank, filled the first comp with the water manually and started ....... it didn't work again!! =((
    because the pump couldn't get the water from an empty 4' long hose. i should have known that! even if it works, if the power goes out, it doesn't work again after coming the power...

second failure, so disappointing :(

was working for all the day, tired and sick of failures, redone the works on the pump and got it back in to the tank.
    filled the sump with media, then some praying (lol) and Woo hoo! it works!

final shots.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because of you I saved a fish!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all of the help that you have given me :) - squirt_12   to my new buddy - mitcore   For being you! - NickFish   Here is a hotdog for a good Freind! - Patriot   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks very complicated but good all the same!!! lol you know i dont understand these things. anyway so any idea how great filtration is gonna be now? lol

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, i put a ton of sponge and floss there! lol, and many bioballs and ceramic rings, also there are some empty space yet! and a 600g/h pump, thats an ultra mechanical-biological filter
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because of you I saved a fish!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all of the help that you have given me :) - squirt_12   to my new buddy - mitcore   For being you! - NickFish   Here is a hotdog for a good Freind! - Patriot   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice!!! p.s go on chatango lol

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!