· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default [b]question about morays[/b]

0 Not allowed!
    hi my name is mindy and i'm new here but not to having fish. I am however new to morays. My question is...i have successfully kept one moray alive ( fat and healthy and happy) for the last year and a half but i heard you can keep more than one in a tank so i went out and got another as soon as i found one. the one i've had longer seems to be bullying the newer one but mostly only if it gets near its hollow tree....will they get over this and be buddies or do i need to seperate them?

Thank you very much for any advice
    Mindy :D

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept several (4) morays in the same tank without any problem. They even shared a cave. The fact that the larger moray defends its cave shouldn't really be a problem as long as their are other caves that the smaller one can make a home in.

It is however always good to keep an eye on them to make sure the aggression don't escalate.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how many caves do you have? they will each need to have there own "home" if the bigger one is being territorial. but otherwise eels are relitavly peaceful with each other.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    there are several other caves in the aquarium as well..but they both seem to like the tree... they seem to be getting along a little better also...both in the tree now...but when they both came out when i dropped some food in the tank they had another spat.

nowhere near the food the older one slide up along the new ones back/side ( almost looked like it was caressing with its head) and all of a sudden went off on the new one biting it several times before it swam off and disappeared back into its tree. and when the older one bits the new one it jerks once or twice and then just sits there until to older backs of...doesn't retaliate or anything.

has got me cofused and i appreiciate all the help....i just don't want either of my "babies" to get hurt

thanks again...
    Mindy :D

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    often times fish tend to disagree with each other at first, keep a close eye on them. hopefully it gets better!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats what i'm hoping for...waited to long to find another moray for it to not get along with the original

thanks for all the help though....Mindy

0 Not allowed!
    BTW You know that you can teach the morays to rise them self above the water surface (4 inches maybe) to eat from your fingers right??

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i've heard that you can do that but i'm unsure about how to go about doing it cause mine are very shy/skiddish. plus i'm not sure i want to teach them to jump cause i don't want them jumping out. tank is mostly covered except small area anround filter and heater.

mindy

0 Not allowed!
    I never seen mine jump. They simple raise their body out of the water.

How: Use some food they like. I used shrimps. Than just feed them in the same spot every day. Preferable the corner of the tank near the surface. the fish will soon learn where to find the food. than you just have to move the food upwards untill it is above the surface. The morays feel keep looking for it where they know it to be.