· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Yip that's an Amano - they won't breed unless they are in braskish water and even then they are more difficult to breed. But on the good side the official name of the Amano is Caridina japonica and if your orange ones aren't the same build and look different then they are not from the Caridina family so most likely the Neocaridina sp. orange (mandarine) which means they will breed really easy if you have males & females - yeahhhhh ;)
    Last edited by Fishalicious; 01-12-2008 at 08:30 PM.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the amano can breed in FW but don't they need full on SW for the larvae to survive????

sorry to be a little off topic

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope they breed, that would be some good money since they are so rare in the United States. I was also looking at getting some blue pearl shrimp. Would they interbreed with either of the two that I have? What do you mean by saddle? Is that the black spot on the top of it's head? If so, then 3 of the orange ones have them and one has one but a lot smaller.
    55 gallon long: Lots of Endler's Livebearers, Dalmation Mollys, three glofish, one male betta, two very large Apple Snails and two Albino Bristlenose Plecos.

20 gallon: one Golden/Bolivian Ram mix, one Golden Ram and guppies.

10 gallon Planted: Blue Pearl Shrimp, 2 baby Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 1 baby Long Finned Brown Bristlenose Pleco.

10 gallon: Growout tank for Guppies and Mollys.

2.5 minibow Planted: 4 Orange Algae Eating Shrimp and 2 Amano Shrimp.

0 Not allowed!
    No they don't need full SW - just brackish and then only for the first two weeks - easiest way is to place a female carrying eggs into a freshwater tank and raise the salinity - once the babies are born wait for two weeks and then you can place them back into the main freshwater tank.

The Blue Pearls are Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var.blue and you have a high chance they will interbreed with your orange... seeing these are more rare species I don't know for sure but being from the same family it is very likely.

A saddle is indeed a dark or white spot just behind the head - it looks like a mini horses saddle - those are females. If you have even just 1 male and 1 female they will breed pretty soon...Neocaridina are prolific breeders
    My own Fish Blog

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishalicious
    No they don't need full SW - just brackish and then only for the first two weeks - easiest way is to place a female carrying eggs into a freshwater tank and raise the salinity - once the babies are born wait for two weeks and then you can place them back into the main freshwater tank.
    ok...thanks. I was told on the internet that it takes SW to raise the larvae correctly....thanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So you would say the one in my original picture is probobly female? If I have one that has a saddle that isn't as dark as the other 3 and the saddle is a lot smaller (barely there) is it possible that it is a male? Or do they just plain not have one at all?
    55 gallon long: Lots of Endler's Livebearers, Dalmation Mollys, three glofish, one male betta, two very large Apple Snails and two Albino Bristlenose Plecos.

10 gallon Planted: Blue Pearl Shrimp, 2 baby Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 1 baby Long Finned Brown Bristlenose Pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    Males don't have them at all....males are also usually a lot less intense in color and smaller than the females - they also swim around a lot more than the females
    My own Fish Blog

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Darn. Now I have to search for a male. What would happen if they bred with blue ones? Would some of the offspring be blue and some be orange? Or would they just turn brown from mixing the colors?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah. And will the Orange breed with Red Cherry Shrimp?