· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on winning the lotto :) woohoo - shalafi04   Love your tank! - Lady Hobbs   for your old, dear friend - Lady Hobbs   So Sorry for your loss - hope you feel better soon xx - Fishalicious   For your loss,In rememberance of Windy - smaug   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - kitten3326   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - kitten3326   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - kitten3326   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - kitten3326   

Default My First Oscar Tank

0 Not allowed!
    We are setting up a new oscar tank, it is 100 gallon tank with cichlid substrate, there are a few caves as I have some bottom dwellers all ready from my community tank. The tank is fully cycled and I am maintaing my cycle with my community fish until I decide exactly what I want. We have wanted oscars for quite sometime however our closest LFS is over 450km one way, so lots of reseach before I make my final decision. I will let you know the I like and then we can decide what will go well with the oscar. I realize I can't get everything on my list but here goes!

1 or 2 oscars, I heard one is best
    2 severums
    convicts
    firemouths
    green terror
    acara

do malawis go with oscars, what about peacocks what is your opinion on blood parrots, I have been on several sites and I keep getting conflicting information. Also I have 2 striped raphaels can I house these guys with the oscar or will I move them to the community tank.

I don't care for silver dollars, they seem to come up on a lot of sites.

I would love to have some color in there but want my oscar to be the centerpiece fish and do I need dither fish

thanks in advance

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    a bloodparrot would work, no peacocks or malawis. the raphaels should be okay with them. your list sounds good, i have all in your list plus more in my 90g

(a oscar, pacu, convict, needle fish, blood parror, green terror, jack dempsey, pleco, african knife fish, upside down catfish, etc)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on winning the lotto :) woohoo - shalafi04   Love your tank! - Lady Hobbs   for your old, dear friend - Lady Hobbs   So Sorry for your loss - hope you feel better soon xx - Fishalicious   For your loss,In rememberance of Windy - smaug   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - kitten3326   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - kitten3326   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - kitten3326   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - kitten3326   

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't put all of these in a 100 gallon could I
    ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    from your list you could have the oscar, severum, firemouth, green terror, and acara. my list is really overstocked and some of the fish are getting moved to a 125g

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your help, would one put a blood parrot with a green terror and leave off the acara or would the former be better?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    do you mean could the green terror, BP, and acara get along? if so they should as long as theyre about equally sized

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    okay so in my tank could I put 1 oscar, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Green Terror, 1 blue Acara, 1 firemouth and 1 severum. How does that sound and would they all get along. I hope I am not being to confusing

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Many of the cichlid sands I see are for rift lake cichlids and alter the pH and hardness. What sand are you using exactly?

I would do one or two oscars (two should be fine as long as you grow them up together). I think green terrors may be the best bet. 3 or 4 cichlids total should be easy to deal with.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is called caribbean black sand, guaranteed not to intervere with the ph, the LFS told us it was perfect for a Oscar tank. It better be or he is going to one sorry guy, took awhile to set up and is now cycled just waiting to add my guys.
    Last edited by kitten3326; 01-10-2008 at 03:39 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Christmas Present! - Tolley   for the green terrors and their spawning :) - arkie   Congratulations on you pic's award And thanks for the help - Billythefish   for your oscar post..... - angelcakes   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    thats nice,
    but i would prefer to have something like these: 1 pair of severums, 1 pair of green terrors, 1 pair of BPs.
    80g Oscar Tank
    MTS cured!