· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    isnt it just called live sand because after a while in the tank it holds massive amounts of good bacteria? aragonite does the same thing, i just use aragonite

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    can i use the same setup for a 20 gallon. i really want an anenome, what is the smallest tank size i can use. i have a 29 that is cycling but i would rather get that for an eel.
    Employee at Pet Ranch in Merritt Island, Florida. We focus on Reptiles, Freshwater, Saltwater, and Exotic Plants.

Current tanks:

20L:
    Snowflake eel

55:
    Africans

29:
    Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    55g with 10wpg lighting is the minimum for a anemone, plus the tank needs to be at least 6 months old

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks guess im not getting one soon.
    Employee at Pet Ranch in Merritt Island, Florida. We focus on Reptiles, Freshwater, Saltwater, and Exotic Plants.

Current tanks:

20L:
    Snowflake eel

55:
    Africans

29:
    Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent rockwork! - Rue   Thanks - aquarius56   Closest thing to a frisbee. - Sasquatch   No reason - William   Only fitting you should have this. - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - travie   

0 Not allowed!
    If I was a mod, I would have this thread stickied, which it needs to be.

Getting this thread back to the top of the list.

- 29g FW - Community - Congo Tetras and a mated pair Kribensis
    - 55g SW - Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For SW enthusiasm - NOT skipping class! - Rue   for the bubby goldfish - arkie   in commemoration of you babies. - Gemstone   Have a gift!! - Tolley   Congratulations on your photo award! - fins_n_fur   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Halelorf   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, this should be stickied.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfraley
    Hydrometer: Coralife and Instant Ocean are the most common. No hydrometer is going to be very accurate. Check yours against a refractometer if possible.

Excellent thread.

I would like to link this article I came across while doing research on Nano Reefs:

Toxicity of Some Freshly Mixed Artificial Seawater by Ronald L Shimek, PhD

So, the average number of larvae that developed in samples of water made with Instant Ocean and Coralife salts was highly statistically different, and far lower, than the number found developing in natural sea water. On the other hand, the average number found in samples of water made with Crystal Sea Marinemix Bioassay Formula and Bio-Sea Marinemix salts was not significantly different from that found developing in natural sea water.

While I see a lot of people recommend an RO unit around forums and I have seen Instant Ocean and Coralife being most popular in LFS's as well this article would seem to scientifically demonstrate (at least based on one method) that Bio Sea Marine Mix would be the best of the instants (although I haven't even seen that brand in any of the LFS (big ticket or small local) around here yet.
    Last edited by Epy; 04-04-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your puppies, grandma :) - Dave66   thanks for the SW help :) - squirt_12   Just for being a good friend - ILuvMyGoldBarb   for all the awesome help! - squirt_12   guess! :) - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    One thing that should be added to the list of equiptment even for a 10 gal nano reef would be the recomendation of a skimmer. There are many HOB and even small in tank skimmers available on the market that would fit. A protein skimmer is a very important addition for the health of any Reef tank and is also a good idea for FO and FOWLR systems.
    Very good post Coach!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

Protein skimmers would be a good add to the optional equipment list. The popular consensus is that you do not need a skimmer on a tank under 30g, but adding one sure wouldn't hurt.

You are right Gem, that there are quite a few to choose from: the CPR Bak Paks and the Aqua C HOB's seem to get great feedback.
    40g SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your puppies, grandma :) - Dave66   thanks for the SW help :) - squirt_12   Just for being a good friend - ILuvMyGoldBarb   for all the awesome help! - squirt_12   guess! :) - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, both of those are great and a good investment especially if you decide to one day upgrade to a larger tank. I use a bakpak 2 on my 46 gal reef (60 gal total water volume w/sump and fuge) but IMO that's as big a tank it should go on.
    There are less expensive options out there for smaller tanks. Mind you they aren't "the best" but do a pretty good job and are well suited for a 10 gal nano. For instance:

This HOB serves as mechanical filtration and skimmer and usually runs about $35 at most LFS.
    http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...mmers_rio.html

There is also this small in tank fission skimmer for about $30
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=14676

And Skilter has an HOB as well
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...41&pcatid=3641

I have not personally used any of the above skimmers and can't vouch for their quality or effectiveness. But...they are an option and less expensive. IMO having one of the above is better than not having one at all. While not absolutley neccesary, no, they are IMO worth their weight in gold in reference to water quality in a nano reef.