· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb
    William, if you read this, please make it a sticky. It will definitly help get marine newbies (including me) on the right track.
    i dont think william will read this but any mod can sticky

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i agree with tigerbarb this post has help me out a lot as a SW newbie and should be a sticky

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i want to do a 10 gallon nano reef, is this a good light?
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...t~CU01002.html
    or is there a cheaper light that will work just as well? i want to keep an anenome(its late i cant spell), and some polyops.
    Employee at Pet Ranch in Merritt Island, Florida. We focus on Reptiles, Freshwater, Saltwater, and Exotic Plants.

Current tanks:

20L:
    Snowflake eel

55:
    Africans

29:
    Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    That light is fine for low light corals. Anemones would probably want the version of that light with 2 bulbs (and twice the wattage). An anemone would probably also appreciate at least 10 more gallons of water in your tank, lol. Anemones need super stable water conditions in order to be happy...I think a lot of people would advise against putting one in a 10g.
    40g SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    yep, anemones need at least a 55g, 10wpg lighting, and a tank over 6 months old

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    I think the live sand and Live aragonite is all a waste of your money. Just get regular carib sea sand and stuff and it will come alive within your tank after a few weeks.
    If we think logically here, real live sand has real live bacteria that survive on waste products and other chemicals in your water.
    So how can "live sand" and bacteria be bagged up and sit on a store shelf at room temperature for weeks at a time? I would think they would die off since there is nothing supplying the bacteria with the necessary nutrients they need to survive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfraley
    That light is fine for low light corals. Anemones would probably want the version of that light with 2 bulbs (and twice the wattage). An anemone would probably also appreciate at least 10 more gallons of water in your tank, lol. Anemones need super stable water conditions in order to be happy...I think a lot of people would advise against putting one in a 10g.
    I would highly deter anyone from getting a anemone in a 10 gallon. I had one in a 10 gallon for about 2 weeks and it just went downhill after the 2nd day.
    This was in an aquarium that was 6 months old with a bunch of coralline. I have perfect magnesium, calcium, alk, and PH levels. I also have 130 watts of light over the tank too and plenty of flow and the thing was just not liking life. I also think I have learned a lot in SW aquariums which would make me not a beginner and I still had trouble with the anemone. I will just say there is plenty of other cool things you could put in your 10. If you had enough light and enough flow I think that a clam would be cool.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zackish
    I think the live sand and Live aragonite is all a waste of your money. Just get regular carib sea sand and stuff and it will come alive within your tank after a few weeks.
    If we think logically here, real live sand has real live bacteria that survive on waste products and other chemicals in your water.
    So how can "live sand" and bacteria be bagged up and sit on a store shelf at room temperature for weeks at a time? I would think they would die off since there is nothing supplying the bacteria with the necessary nutrients they need to survive.
    I am also a little skeptical about the bagged live sand. I don't quite understand how those companies can claim that the beneficial bacteria is still viable after sitting in a bag that long (I always felt the same way about eco-complete for planted tanks). I can attest to the fact that the bagged live sand does not create a noticeable ammonia spike in tanks, but I do not know how much beneficial bacteria is present in the tank after the sand is added. I also know for sure that the baged live sand is a POPULAR product, and it is used by a lot of reefers (many of whom swear by it) so I felt inclined to include it in my post.

I don't know how common this is, but there are a couple of LFSs' in my area that keep live sand in a curing tank (just like live rock), and they just scoop it out when you want some. That was what I was referring to when I mentioned "live sand from your LFS".

You are definitely right that I should have explained that section of my post better, would you like to suggest a correction??? Maybe with a few edits, we can get this thing stickied (if that is a word) lol.

Thanks Zack
    40g SW

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    the carib sea sand is only 7 dollars less at my store so i just bought the "live sand" i think it looks better. I never understood how it stayed alive either, it has been in bags for months.
    Employee at Pet Ranch in Merritt Island, Florida. We focus on Reptiles, Freshwater, Saltwater, and Exotic Plants.

Current tanks:

20L:
    Snowflake eel

55:
    Africans

29:
    Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I made an edit to the original post.
    40g SW