· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default mbunas in a 30gal?

0 Not allowed!
    Am I dreaming/kidding myself?

just wondering if this is possible, or even worth it?

I know they can get big, so am probably pushing s--t uphill. But thought I'd ask anyway.
    Be careful, that light you see at the end of the tunnel, could be a train!!

0 Not allowed!
    you could put some of the smaller ones in there but not too many, demasoni is the first to come to mind. you could also do some dwarf cichlids. you would need a good amount of filtration though.
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    You could do either one species and have one male and two to three females, or just three or four males of any species.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    You could do either one species and have one male and two to three females, or just three or four males of any species.
    that sounds interesting but do you mean species of mbuna or just the smaller varieties like demasoni and dwarf cichlids?

0 Not allowed!
    species of mbuna. That's what you want, right?
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Just mbunas. You do not want to mix mbunas with any other types of cichlids, at least not cichlids from anywhere besides Lake Malawi.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm a few electric yellows could be a good start..

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    30 gal is too small.

Demasoni are as small as mbuna get, but you need to keep them in groups of 1/2 males with 10/12 females or you will end up with just 1 male and nothing else.

labs are docile, but they get to 4 - 5 inches. if you keep 2 males they will shred each other, and keeping the correct ratio male to female requires 1 male to 3 or 4 females which is a) really overstocked (4 or 5 4 inch fish in a standard 30 gal, especially mbuna...not good) and b) you may end up with fry before you hit adult size, leaving you with even more fish, therefore more overstocking.

if you want to try rift lake species in a standard 30, consider tanganyikan shell dwellers. lots of options, very pretty fish, and all the interaction you are looking for.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the advice Coler, I think im gonna stick to my original plan and set up my 55 gal as a mbuna tank.

I'll find some other use for my 30gal, plenty of fish out there to choose from.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Bigger is definitely better.

I have not had the same experience with Demasoni. I had them in the last tank I setup, just two of them, and if anything they were on the bottom of the pecking order. Others were leaving them behind in size and gettimg more aggressive, far from them taking over the tank. Every fish is different. In any mbuna tank you need to overstock in the beginning by more than what you want in the end so you can remove problem or beat up individuals.

Please read my post on mbunas. It is in this forum and my blog.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist