· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default agressive yellow tang

0 Not allowed!
    hello,

I am NEW to this so please bear with me...anyway, we have a 50gl FOWLR tank (since the beginning of Nov 07) and in it we have a yellow tang, serpent sea star, flamehawk, zebra moray eel and a maroon clown.

the yellow tang is so agressive. along witht the flamehawk, and the eel, it (the tang) was first in the tank. We added a butterfly - the tang stressed it out and it died in about 4 days. We added a blue regal- tang stressed it out and it died - maybe the tang or a water change - moth sure but it died after 2 weeks. Then everyone was happy and we added the Maroon and yellow clow - tank raised - 6 years old. all was cool until today - all of a sudden the tang is nipping its fins acting territorial - we are so confused. They have been in there together for about a month now. Whats the deal.

We set up another 50gl FO tank and have let it cycle and since we love the clown - we moved the tang to the new tank- was this cool? We do want to add to this tank obviously but now we are afraid that it will bully anything we put in with it. Its by itself right now.

Please help anyone....

sincerely,
    senior's wife

Awards Showcase

beer party! - cocoa_pleco have a margarita on me... - digital3 congrats on the angels! - cocoa_pleco heres a drink too.... i dont like drinking alone - arkie have a burger! - cocoa_pleco 
    and a beer... - cocoa_pleco and a slush for desert! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12 
    cuz u needed a gift from me and I have no idea what this is lol - richberstler Happy Holidays! - digital3 happy new year - arkie Here's some candy I stole from Lindsay. Haha! - KcEE For a new mate, - CAX474 
    to the soon to be professional fish breeder! - cocoa_pleco Zachery Ty Bryan Award - richberstler Happy Birthday Dillon - OscarFan Here's a Cafe Latte for you! - KcEE Get well soon!!! - KcEE 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - mitcore Childhood Cancer - mitcore Hepatitis C - mitcore 

0 Not allowed!
    sorry to hear about the agression, congrats though it seems you have done a great job on raising and caring for your fish

i dont know about yellow tangs sorry i wanted to say congrats for your well managed tank,

can you post pics
    3ft
    tetras ,platties ,guppies,corys
    4 bristle noses,peacock eel,sword tails
    paradise fish
    1 male betta, a female betta
    bumble bee gobi, harliquin rasbroas, mystery snails
    4ft
    angels, gouramis, bristle noses,3 silver fin sharks
    widows,khulis,severums
    corys ,rainbows,keyholes,snails, 4 bristle noses
    congo tetras,
    breeder tank
    angel breeding pair
    3ft divided angel breeder
    1 breeding pair,fry and ghost knife
    platty tank
    1 river fish,platties
    G,O,T

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to move this to the saltwater section, as you will get better answers there.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i think tangs get more aggrssive the older they get but im not sure, i would try adding fish that could hold their own against him like some angelfish
    5 gallon-- my oh noes emergency tank
    10 gallon nano-reef-- clownfish, coral banded shrimp, snails, hermits, live rock
    46 gallon community-- tetras, danios, gouramis, platies, guppies, glass cats, corys, pleco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you Mitcore - we are learning and ENJOYING our new hobby. as soon as i get the hang of this forum i will have my hubby add some pics.

thanks drumachine and erik. i look forward to more info.

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    weird, my tank only fights when someone bugs him.

is he getting enough good food? ive heard that some tanks need airstone and some need more algae in their diet. i give my tang pellets, algae, and dried seaweed.

dont feel bad, LOTS of people have trouble with their first tangs, mine caught ick 3 times when i first got him, now all is good

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tangs can be aggressive, especially when they are the first inhabitants and have established territory. You could try leaving him out for a while & move the rock around to change the territory and add him back afterwards.
    If this doesn't help (and I'm afraid it won't) the best bet would be to trade for another-perhaps smaller. The bigger the tang, the more aggressive it will be.

Awards Showcase

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb A little something for a friend!! - Patriot Thanks for being there! - NickFish have a gift - mitcore :D - harls_aussie 
    I hope your dwarf gourami gets better!!! - Blue Ram A little something for my troubles - Tigerbarb Here you go mate! - Tolley My gift, lol - Tigerbarb Another one of my gifts lol - Tigerbarb 
    happy birthday - digger MORE!!! - Tigerbarb thanks! - The Red Severum you have no frog lol - angelcakes the closest thing to a moorish idol :) - Tigerbarb 
    here you go :) - OscarFan Have an oscar bud! - Soxfan For you my homie - xximanoobxx Happy Holidays - travie Merry Christmas - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Ever tried getting another yellow tang of the same size as the tang's tank mate?
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater