· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Shy Ahli

1. Default Shy Ahli

0 Not allowed!
    I recently bought an Ahli Cichlid from the LFS and he appears to be afraid of me. I'll see him swimming around if i sit still across the room, but if i go close to the tank he will hide from me, under some of the driftwood. is this common behavior for a cichlid? will he grow out of it? he seems to be warming up a little but still hides. makes it hard to feed cichlid flakes if he's afraid to come out when i feed him.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by valdega
    I recently bought an Ahli Cichlid from the LFS and he appears to be afraid of me. I'll see him swimming around if i sit still across the room, but if i go close to the tank he will hide from me, under some of the driftwood. is this common behavior for a cichlid? will he grow out of it? he seems to be warming up a little but still hides. makes it hard to feed cichlid flakes if he's afraid to come out when i feed him.
    It'll take him a while to get used to your tank. However, if you provide more hiding places, you'll see him more in the meantime.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a picture of him. I sat still in front of the tank and he eventually got curious enough to make an appearance.

I'm thinking about calling him Mohammad the Ahli.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking fish, and good shot of him. He ought to color up really nicely as he grows.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the pic doesn't really do him justice. He's a very vibrant iridescent blue, very beautiful.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nice looking ahli....as Dave 66 mentioned, he'll appreciate more hiding holes and some rock ledges....they come out more if they have a place to retreat every noew and than.......

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, after reading up a bit i realized they really like rocks and caves and such. He's swimming out in the open some more. I guessed he has learned i have his food. I'll go get some more cover for him when i get the chance. Is there any kind of rock out there that would help buffer the pH and alkalinity?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i use tufa (spelling ???) rock in my cichlid tank its a soft rock but it helps out with buffering......lava rock works good too..

heres a site for you too look at which you might find useful.....it has a DIY rock wall for your tank..when you get there go to ....DIY Projects...scroll down and click onto cave grotto aquarium background......

www.aquariumlife.net

.....have fun and good luck......

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the link, ill check it out. :)