· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Apongeton Bulbs -- Growing properly?

0 Not allowed!

Here is a pic of an apongeton bulb that i planted maybe 2 weeks ago.
    Seems to be growing very slowly and was wondering if somebody could let me know if they think it looks like its growing right, or not. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like it is not growing at all.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Patience, they sometimes take weeks before they will sprout. Once they do, growth is usually pretty rapid. I plant them sideways to make sure the crown isn't buried...

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed. I've used those bulbs before and they do take a while to get started, I'd seen them take as much as 4-6 weeks to get started, but once they get growing watch out, they get big.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I 'planted' mine 5 days ago, nothing yet either. Planted 3 out of 9 of them.
    Ed

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok. My apongoeton growth has completely taken off! The plants have grown to the height of my entire tank in less than 3 days. There is one stalk in the off to the side, that looks like it is one of those things that will turn into the seeds or whatever.. sould i just break off the end, or do i need to cut that whole thing off?

0 Not allowed!
    That's a flower stalk. Tell is the color of the flowers so we can tell you the species you have. And don't worry about the seeds; fish find them very tasty.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    That's a flower stalk. Tell is the color of the flowers so we can tell you the species you have. And don't worry about the seeds; fish find them very tasty.

Dave
    i read somehwere that if you let the apongeoton seed that it ends up dying or looking shitty or something. is this untrue? And yes.. i will post what color the seeds are when they some out to ID what kind it is.

Any pruning advise? Can i just cut them wherever? Been growing for a week and already outgrown my tank pretty much..lol

0 Not allowed!
    Aponogetons developed in waters that dry up during the dry season in their native climes, thus they need a rest period like they get in nature, where the plant starts putting out smaller and smaller leaves, then stops leaf production. The leaves die, but the plant doesn't. Depending on the species, it can be two to four months before the plant comes out of it's rest period and grows like mad again.

It used to be you had to take out the bulb and put it on cool, wet sand and in a dark closet for the months, but as pretty much all available now days are man-made cultivars, it isn't necessary.

Pruning it will kill the plant. You'll be able to enjoy that plant for months. Just leave the bulb where it is when the plant goes into it's rest period as though it isn't shooting out leaves, it is feeding itself through it's roots, storing the energy for leaf and reproduction in it's bulb.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your input Dave!

Here are some pics of my plant. What type of Apongeton is it?
    Ok.. so i will leave the little seed thing there, correct?
    And would it hurt to prune back the leaves, because as you can see, it is pretty much outgrowing my tank.. lol

1 more thing.. if i were to cut a leave off the plant, and stick the end of it in my gravel.. would a whole new plant grow? Im asking this because i also have an aquarium at school and wanted to get one of these plants in there too, becuase they get big and look A LOT better than the fakes ones.. lol.

Thanks!