· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Hole in The Head

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 oscars in a 125 gallon aquarim they have developed hole in the head I do water changes every week and clean the substate as best as I can I use only well known and trusted foods on occasion I feed live goldfish I have lots of troubles keeping nitrate levels under control I can do a water change and have levels reading around 20-40ppm and two days later have nitrate levels at 160 ppm or higher I am at a total loss as of what to do number 1 how can I get rid of the hole in the head [I understand that this is a secondary infection and difficult to get rid of ] and 2 what can I do about nitrate levels I am at the point of doing a 125 gallon water change and starting over HELP !!!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    what filtration do you have? how much water do you change at a time? how big are the oscars? any other tankmates? stop with all live food. its the best way to introduce parasites and diseases.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use an undergravel filtration system with 3 penguin 550 powerheads and I also have a magnum 350 pro canister type filter with 2 biowheels I change 60 % water weekly also 2 pleco's and 1 pictus cat live food was only fed 1 or2 times monthly

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    any live food ever could have introduced it, it only takes one. i usually hear water quality may cause or at least contriute to HITH, so you may want to up it to 75% weekly and add more filtration. i would add at least one fluval 405.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you checked to see if there are nitrates in your tap water? I have heard of people finding that they have readable levels in tap water, and thus they are putting nitrates back in when they are trying to take them out :(.

0 Not allowed!
    Is there any debris etc hidden away anywhere in the tank. Are you using any roots or similar that you have collected yourself in the tank?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I collected some rocks from various sources mainly the mississippi river but they were boiled and bleached and thoruoghly rinsed before intoducing them to the tank there are no roots or natural driftwood in the tank all the plants are artificial and I do not believe that the tap water has any readable amount of nitrate in it I also have a 55 gallon that I keep african chiclids in and a 20 gallon long that I have a clown knife and two blue cobalt lobsters in I have no problem with either one of those two aquariums but those fish are nowhere near as dirty as the oscars my nitrate level today was over 160ppm I changed out at least 90 gallons today and got it down to around 20ppm no wasted food and no feeder fish I will monitor every day for the next week . but the other important question was how to get rid of HITH now that it is noticably present ???

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    no certain way to do it. my jag started to get it, but that was after i wasnt doing water changes for a while. once i started those again it seems like its going away. however i have also added meds lately, mainly for velvet, so they may have had something to do with the turn around. from what i understand there is no reliable way to deal with HITH. seems everyone has a different opinion, from treatment to cause.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you continue to see climbing nitrates, especially only in this tank, step up the frequency of water changes and try adding another filtration system. In my opinion, although I know others like them, undergravel filters suck. The magnum 350 filter is rated for 100 gal aquariums, we use one on our 90 gal, and one on our 64 gal with success. The 90 gal has 2 oscars and a pleco. The climbing nitrates can cause all manner of disease issues so it definitely can contribute to whatever caused the hole in the head to begin with making it hard for the fish to fight it off and heal.
    Also, what tap water treatment are you using? We have had good success with stresscoat, it claims to help the fish with their slime coat to fight off skin diseases naturally, and it has helped our fish with nipped fins. I have also used it along with heat and water changes for the 2 cases of ICK I have dealt with....never used ick meds. You can safely squirt it right onto the fish themselves, so it may help. Keep us posted on how things go.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    there are much better filters out there than magnums. UGFs are a bad choice for cichlids, they can actually make things worse.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist