· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clown pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

Default clown pleco

0 Not allowed!
    what would be the minimum tank requirement for a clown pleco???? 20+gallons?????

thanks.

also they would need algae in the tank, hiding places, and they grow to about 4-6"????

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    After lookin around alittle, here's a small summary of what I found

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile80.html

-Claims top size of 5", but a 29gal tank.

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/prof...clownplec.html

-This one says only 3 1/2", and between a 25 and 30gal tank.

http://www.worldcichlids.com/fishpro...lownpleco.html

-This one says 4" and a 2' tank. 74-82 degree water.

The common points between the 3 links are the tempature, between 74 - 82degrees and that they like to eat wood (driftwood). Some say they may not be the best alge eaters though. Hope some of these sites help steer you in the right direction. Know you only asked for tank size, but too much information never hurt ;-)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeha i have seen all of these sites.....but pretty well every site says something different so i wanted to get all of your opinions.

thanks ZCciVic22.

P.S.
    If i were to get some for my 33g??? (after i sell my common pleco) how many would i beable to get??? or should i just get 1???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by squirt_12
    Yeha i have seen all of these sites.....but pretty well every site says something different so i wanted to get all of your opinions.

thanks ZCciVic22.

P.S.
    If i were to get some for my 33g??? (after i sell my common pleco) how many would i beable to get??? or should i just get 1???
    There are several species of Peckoltias, which is why you got so many different lengths. The most common is P. vittata, which tops out at 4 inches, lives for ages and ages, and is attractive to boot (vittata means spotted). If you have several, and I mean several, hiding places you could probably keep three or six in a 33 gallon, but be ready to remove them if they squabble. They are cave spawners, and if you luck out and get a pair, successfully breeding them is a rare treat, and you'd have little trouble selling fry.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    There are several species of Peckoltias, which is why you got so many different lengths. The most common is P. vittata, which tops out at 4 inches, lives for ages and ages, and is attractive to boot (vittata means spotted). If you have several, and I mean several, hiding places you could probably keep three or six in a 33 gallon, but be ready to remove them if they squabble. They are cave spawners, and if you luck out and get a pair, successfully breeding them is a rare treat, and you'd have little trouble selling fry.

Dave
    ok...thanks Dave. yeah i am thinking of selling the common pleco from my 33g cause i don't like him...he is too big and i want something else....a little different for the tank and i really like the clown plecos. So i think that once i sell it and get rid of my snail problem i will get a couple of them.

In the picture it shows you a fairly recent shot of my tank..i added alot more rocks to the tank and some more ornaments... But if you want to tell me if i have enough hiding places and you have my full authority to take the picture and photoshop it if you want to show where i need to place more hiding places and such and i will make it happen.

are the clowns fairly peaceful??? or will they fight against other fish and or chase them??? from what i heard they are fairly peaceful. Also...do i need driftwood in the tank?? i heard that they like to eat it??? and if they do i can get some of the real stuff....should i get some???

thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   

0 Not allowed!
    ok...thanks Dave. yeah i am thinking of selling the common pleco from my 33g cause i don't like him...he is too big and i want something else....a little different for the tank and i really like the clown plecos. So i think that once i sell it and get rid of my snail problem i will get a couple of them.

In the picture it shows you a fairly recent shot of my tank..i added alot more rocks to the tank and some more ornaments... But if you want to tell me if i have enough hiding places and you have my full authority to take the picture and photoshop it if you want to show where i need to place more hiding places and such and i will make it happen.

are the clowns fairly peaceful??? or will they fight against other fish and or chase them??? from what i heard they are fairly peaceful. Also...do i need driftwood in the tank?? i heard that they like to eat it??? and if they do i can get some of the real stuff....should i get some???

thanks.
    They don't actually eat the wood like the Panaques do, but they do like the wood for the biofilm and copepods on it. They are completely peaceful long as they have a place to call home. Years ago I kept eight of them in a 40 breeder with a bunch (nine or ten) flower pots, bunch of driftwood and large rounded stones. Had to wait a year til they grew up, but each male (three were in that group) was guarding a clutch of eggs within two months.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    i've got a clown pleco in with my mbuna. i really never see him anymore since his buddy is gone (stolen with my 10gal). they really like to munch on wood (so get some) and they like zuccini too. they are really not algae eaters for glass cleaning but will munch on algae wafers if you put them in the tank. they are quite shy but from what i've seen they don't like being alone either. they will however not put up with other fish picking on them and i have seen mine flare up some spines on their bodies at my mbuna from time to time when bothered. i think i'm going to have to get another one so the one i have won't be lonely anymore and i may have to get a bigger piece of driftwood as my usd cats have taken it over.
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok....thanks everyone for all of the help. It has got me thinking....where do you go to get your pots??? like a hardware store??? they are fairly cheap right??? well i think that i will do what you said Dave. Tonight i might change around the tank and then take a pic...but i am not sure if i will change it around tonight or not.

By large round stones....do you mean...just them sitting there by themselves??? or stacked???? like stuff for them to swim in and around with????

thanks Dave, sergo, and ZCciVic22

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok....thanks everyone for all of the help. It has got me thinking....where do you go to get your pots??? like a hardware store??? they are fairly cheap right??? well i think that i will do what you said Dave. Tonight i might change around the tank and then take a pic...but i am not sure if i will change it around tonight or not.

By large round stones....do you mean...just them sitting there by themselves??? or stacked???? like stuff for them to swim in and around with????

thanks Dave, sergo, and ZCciVic22
    I get them from a pottery shop owned by folks I know, but the ones at the garden or grocery store are perfectly fine, not to mention el cheapo. You just need to wash them to get the dust and grime off them with clear water and salt. You just scrub with the salt and water til the water runs completely clear off the pot (s). You want pots of a diameter where the male can easily get in, but its tight around him. They'll also breed in a crack or chasm in driftwood, if he can jam himself in, and keep his big head blocking the door.
    The stones I mean like a loose group that the fish can cruise around it, and have several places to 'suck on'. I like rounded, domed dark grey granite stones for such things.

Dave

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    You want pots of a diameter where the male can easily get in, but its tight around him.
    i don't understand what you mean??? should the pot be longer than wide????
    http://www.smartdirectsales.com/imag...pot_3_all_.gif
    something like the pot on the right that is tell and sort of skinny????

and should they beable to swim right through it???