· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: old discus fish

1. Default old discus fish

0 Not allowed!
    Old message
    Kindly help I have one old discus fish in a separate tank for more than a year now .I would like to know if I can put older discus fish to a tank with group of small discus which is 5 months old.
    New
    Thanks to all who have helped me by sending mail .still I was not able to place my old discus with the other small discus fish .I just got another option from a friend of mine even he has a big old discus .but the problem with the fish is one eyes is little cloudy and it has changed its body color yellow black .breathing normal .I donít know if the fish has changed it color or itís the same color .if some one can tell me if this fish is sick. If it is sick is there a medicine .do you think after the treatment this fish is safe to be added to the old tank.
    can i save the sick fish and add it to my tank

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    what temp, pH, hardness, nitrates?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry reptile guy 75% water change is to much that will destroy the filter unless its RO water which also isant fully 'pure'.
    The world of tropical fish is full of wonder and mystery!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    How will it destroy a filter? Do you mean the biological filtration? Because the biological filtration will not be disturbed as it is not IN the water column itself, but ON surfaces in the tank. And it has nothing to do with how 'pure' the water is. If the pH and temp are the same, you can do a 100% water change without ill effects, I've done it. From what I have read many discus breeders do water changes comparable to this, in fact many do them larger and more frequently than I recommend.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptileguy2727
    what temp, pH, hardness, nitrates?
    Hi ReptileGuy........

Adult Discus .... I keep around 84F..... babies and sub adults 86F to 88F......

ph...... I find them to be more comfortable around 6.5 to 7.5........ more importantly a stable ph is the key :)

gh..... I keep my breeding pairs 30ppm to 60 ppm... and raising the fry in straight tap water..... my tap water is about 250 ppms

NO3... it's better to have 0....... that's wishful thinking tho....... 10 isn't such a bad number........ as far as NO3 you can reduce it with frequent wcs....

Clean stable water really is the key to raising healthy Discus..

but the problem with the fish is one eyes is little cloudy and it has changed its body color yellow black
    Cloudy eyes are generally some type of bacterial infection..... it sounds like that Discus's immune system was is a little weak........

I would take that Discus .... put it in a qt tank and keep the water as pristine as you possibly can and feed it plenty.... it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it cleared up without any meds.......

Quote Originally Posted by AQUA_KING
    sorry reptile guy 75% water change is to much that will destroy the filter unless its RO water which also isant fully 'pure'.
    I do 50% to 90% wcs daily on my Discus and sometimes twice daily...... I haven't had any problems with doing it this way :)

Beth
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should be fine do some extra water changes after the additions...