· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what a trooper.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default what a trooper.

0 Not allowed!
    I was shifting my fish to a new aquarium when one of my little clown loaches hopped out of the net and landed on the floor..

he was flapping about on the floor and my attempts to carefully pick him up were unsuccessful and I only managed to assist getting him wedged further under the leg support for the aquarium table. He was stuck under it head first and I wasn't sure how to get him out. I tried with a few various tools to manouvre him out without any luck and in the end time was running out so I just grabbed the little guys tail and pulled and hoped for the best.

I thought I heard a little bit of crunching of fins or something being injured as i pulled but I managed to get him into the aquarium after maybe a minute on the floor. He was by this time gettign dry and stuick to my fingers a bit.

This was 3 days ago, I was certain he wouldn't last the night and was fully expecting to see a dead loach in the morning.

Well he's still charging about, so much so that of the three I have in the tank I have no idea which one he was. They all look very happy... so far.

I am amazed he survived after this episode a single night, let alone 3 nights and he seems to be doing fine.

what a trooper.. are clown loaches know for this hardiness?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by plow
    I was shifting my fish to a new aquarium when one of my little clown loaches hopped out of the net and landed on the floor..

he was flapping about on the floor and my attempts to carefully pick him up were unsuccessful and I only managed to assist getting him wedged further under the leg support for the aquarium table. He was stuck under it head first and I wasn't sure how to get him out. I tried with a few various tools to manouvre him out without any luck and in the end time was running out so I just grabbed the little guys tail and pulled and hoped for the best.

I thought I heard a little bit of crunching of fins or something being injured as i pulled but I managed to get him into the aquarium after maybe a minute on the floor. He was by this time gettign dry and stuick to my fingers a bit.

This was 3 days ago, I was certain he wouldn't last the night and was fully expecting to see a dead loach in the morning.

Well he's still charging about, so much so that of the three I have in the tank I have no idea which one he was. They all look very happy... so far.

I am amazed he survived after this episode a single night, let alone 3 nights and he seems to be doing fine.

what a trooper.. are clown loaches know for this hardiness?
    Yep, when properly kept the Botia species, including your Chromobotia, are well nigh bulletproof when established. They can easily live for a decade or more. It will take some time (years) but eventually those clown loaches will reach 12 to 16 inches. They do slow down after they hit six inches or so.
    Next time (if there is one) wet your hands with tank water first before picking up a fish off the floor. That way your hands don't stick to the fish's slime coat.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I'm glad you're fish is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Next time (if there is one) wet your hands with tank water first before picking up a fish off the floor. That way your hands don't stick to the fish's slime coat.

Dave

That's really good advice! I never would have thought of that...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Clowns are pretty tough guys. It's claimed if you find one laying on the floor and you think he's dead, put him back in the water and watch him for awhile because he will probably still be alive. Watch for certain decorations as they will climb up inside of them and get stuck. I lost two that way.

Good tip, Dave. Never thought of that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Yep, when properly kept the Botia species, including your Chromobotia, are well nigh bulletproof when established. They can easily live for a decade or more. It will take some time (years) but eventually those clown loaches will reach 12 to 16 inches. They do slow down after they hit six inches or so.

Dave
    actually i think that he stuck to my finger was the only reason i managed to get him out of the crack he was wedged in.

good tip though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey plow, you ever seen Marge?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index...a-macracanthus

Now that's a clown loach! LOL

Mine are barely 4 inches at over a year so guess we won't have to worry for a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing such good research!! - Rue   hehe. - Tolley   nascar prize - sailor   Happy Birthday! - squirt_12   For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish   Childhood Cancer - NickFish   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish   

0 Not allowed!
    That's a BIG loach! When you first see one of those little orange and black fish in the bottom of the pet store tank you would never think that that same fish could get that big.
    Hobbs are your loaches doing anything about the snail population?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    My clown loaches are a few years old and don't seem to be growing anymore than they are now--about 4 inches or so.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishies
    That's a BIG loach! When you first see one of those little orange and black fish in the bottom of the pet store tank you would never think that that same fish could get that big.
    Hobbs are your loaches doing anything about the snail population?
    None in their tank but there never was. I have tossed some in their tank for them to eat and they never ever saw them. I picked them out later myself.

I have a phobia with these snails. I don't want anything in my tank that I don't put in my tank. I do not like quests that show up ininvited. :)

gm72..... I am holding out hopes that mine don't get over 8 inches. I read fairly often that tank raised loaches only get around 8 inches so I am hoping for that size (or less.) I guess if you have a huge, huge tank like the one Marge is in, they would get bigger. Or, if you had them imported in and they were already huge as I'm sure there's were. There's is a display tank (huge) so I doubt they requested 1 inch loaches to fill it.

Gez, they live about 30 years and I doubt that display tank was there 30 years ago.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Hey plow, you ever seen Marge?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index...a-macracanthus

Now that's a clown loach! LOL

Mine are barely 4 inches at over a year so guess we won't have to worry for a while.
    That fish is a beast!

My loaches have sorted out my snail problem well and truly.