· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default tank mates for oscars

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 2 small oscars in my tank with a number of smaller fish and i have been told that once the oscars grow they will eat all my fish , i am planing on buying a second tank for my 2 oscars , are there any fish that make good oscar tank mates? also what is the size requirement needed for a tank with 2 oscars?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have mine with a Tilapia, they tend to be good with any south american cichlids too big to fit in their mouth and of course plecos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!!! - squirt_12   purple is purdy - Lady Hobbs   Happy b-day!! - Kuli_Loach   Happy 25th! - Futureboy   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Kaga's Kritters   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Kaga's Kritters   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Kaga's Kritters   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Kaga's Kritters   Gay and Lesbian Pride - Kaga's Kritters   

0 Not allowed!
    for 2 oscars i think a 100 gal would be minimum size. oscars really shouldn't be kept with other fish since they are so aggressive. i know of some people that have managed to keep other fish with them, but that will mean you will need an even bigger tank....like a 150gal
    10 gal tropical tank (mainly snails w/7 fish), 5 rats, 4 parakeets, 1 senegal parrot, 2 degus, 1 snake, 1 blue tongue skink, 3 mice, 1 rabbit, 1 ferret, 5 cats, 1 dog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by goleafs
    I have mine with a Tilapia, they tend to be good with any south american cichlids too big to fit in their mouth and of course plecos.
    ofcourse i forgot about plecos, i have one in my tank now, I will get another for my oscar tank as it should do a good cleaning job.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I have a paroon shark, a pleco, a green terror, a convict and a knife fish with my oscar. All are way too big to fit in his mouth, and they all get along well!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZCciVic22
    Right now I have a paroon shark, a pleco, a green terror, a convict and a knife fish with my oscar. All are way too big to fit in his mouth, and they all get along well!
    is feeding an issue? i find that my other fish struggle a bit to compete with the oscars for food, i could solve the problem by simply putting lots more food in but i have been told that that could push the nitrate and amonium levels up

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!!! - squirt_12   purple is purdy - Lady Hobbs   Happy b-day!! - Kuli_Loach   Happy 25th! - Futureboy   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Kaga's Kritters   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Kaga's Kritters   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Kaga's Kritters   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Kaga's Kritters   Gay and Lesbian Pride - Kaga's Kritters   

0 Not allowed!
    what size tank to do have them all in? what are you going to do with them when they are all full grown?
    10 gal tropical tank (mainly snails w/7 fish), 5 rats, 4 parakeets, 1 senegal parrot, 2 degus, 1 snake, 1 blue tongue skink, 3 mice, 1 rabbit, 1 ferret, 5 cats, 1 dog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You're hella cool! - Rocky06fx4   Thank you for your donation! - Tigerbarb   to my new drinking pal ;) - arkie   hope you dont mind...for cara get well soon - angelcakes   My heart goes to Cara - Get well Soon! - Tolley   
    Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by melbfish20
    is feeding an issue? i find that my other fish struggle a bit to compete with the oscars for food, i could solve the problem by simply putting lots more food in but i have been told that that could push the nitrate and amonium levels up

No issues with feeding. If it's a pellet day, the Oscar is amazingly gentle about eating. He's very slow to go up, sucks a couple in, then backs up. The convict and green terror have learned to be quick. Everyone eats well!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - ZCciVic22   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaga's Kritters
    what size tank to do have them all in? what are you going to do with them when they are all full grown?

Sorry about the 2 posts, but I dunno how to quote 2 people in the same post! They are currently in a 150gal tank, and will be moved to a 265gal within the next month or so. As far as what to do with them when full grown... I dunno! The Paroon gets anywhere from 5-9' when fully grown. The 9' is more in the wild. 5' is still way to large. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! Anyone want a monster catfish? lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the 2 posts, but I dunno how to quote 2 people in the same post! They are currently in a 150gal tank, and will be moved to a 265gal within the next month or so. As far as what to do with them when full grown... I dunno! The Paroon gets anywhere from 5-9' when fully grown. The 9' is more in the wild. 5' is still way to large. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! Anyone want a monster catfish? lol
    you should start thinking about it now. instead of waiting till he is huge and then risking having trouble finding him a home. i personally don't see the point in having a fish you can't properly care for for its whole life.