· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What kind of substrate to use?

0 Not allowed!
    I have set up a tank for Malawi cichlids, its a 55 gal and have live plants and everything biologically working.

Now I am wondering if I should change the substrate, I currently have a black crushed granite gravel in there, it looks great, but, it does have some sharpish edges on it. It could be considered quite coarse.

Do malawi cichlids do a lot of digging? Is this substrate suitable or should I rip the stuff out and start again with smoother pebbles.

(I just think the common pebbles are boring to look at)

thanks in advŠnce, i've never had malawis before.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Sand is ideal for Lake Malawi cichlids and plants, and other fish for that matter. However, most cichlids end up tearing up plants. What type of Lake Malawi cichlids are you going to do?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    Malawi's defo dig around in the sand and will also sift through it with their mouths looking for morsels of food... plants indeed won't have a big chance in a Malawi tank... most Malawi tanks are sand substrate with a beautiful layout of lot's of stones to provide shelter
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

I'm buying breakfast - Lady Hobbs gotta wash the burger down - Lady Hobbs Prost! - alizee340 Now you can buy some band aids for you sajica wounds! - Drumachine09 This is a cat.  This is a hat.  LOL - Lady Hobbs 
    *For Your Awesome Sense Of Style & For Being You!!* - MeganL3985 I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Funker Vogt! - Nick_Pavlovski You are pretty cool yrself, a stein of beer for you - crackatinny POTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    For giving me my first vote! - RichBowyer FrŲhlich Weihnachten! - Fishalicious Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer A Fosters, non of that Heinikan - crackatinny Fur Deine Hilfe xxxx  Vielen Dank xxx - Fishalicious 
    sorry about hook......... - jbeining75 rest in peace Hook. Sorry for your loss - shalafi04 This is the closest thing to nerd, thank for the info - hpt84 

0 Not allowed!
    I have seen underwater pics from Lake malawi. What you see is sand, rock formations and here and there Valisneria "islands".

Those rock formations consist of rounded pebbles like rocks (very big of course). So I wouldnt use that Lava rock stuff or this coulored things with those holes in them. They just arnt natural. And if you take plants, try those bigger Valisneria.

Andrea

0 Not allowed!
    I was going to say crushed coral sand.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    What type of Lake Malawi cichlids are you going to do?
    I have no idea yet, the ones at the LFS lol!

they are probably mbunas (they are the most common ones right?) I dont know much about malawi cichlids other than they look cool and I want some.

It sounds like I need to replace the substrate.... is that right?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I would. You can try the plants, but they may not make it. Worst case they get a snack. I feed nothing but New Life Spectrum and many would be problem makers don't bother things like plants, which clues that they are getting all the nutrition they need. It also really helps with the bright coloration of cichlids, especially types like mbunas. Most likely they are mbunas, but I suggest looking through all the different types so you can get an eye for what is and what is not a mbuna. Most tanks are 'Assorted African Cichlids', so other types may be mixed in. They all tend to do better within their own groups, so mixing non-mbunas with mbunas isn't a good idea (especially for the non-mbunas).
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    i have anubias and swords in my 55 mbuna tank. they don't mess with them at all. i did have some anacharis at one point in there and got turned into anachaistem. i think they really liked it but it couldn't grow back fast enough to keep up with them so i ended up pulling it out. i think broad leaved (low light) plants will do pretty well with them.
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cheers for that sergo, thats exactly what i was considering using.

nice.