· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Hang in there man! - coachfraley   For taking on the 10g wavemaker! - coachfraley   

Default My 10 Gallon Tank

0 Not allowed!
    First of all I would like to thank everyone here for helping me get my new hobby started. Without your advice and knowledge I wouldn't have known what to do and would probably still be figuring it out. Thanks!

I know I post pictures all the time and you've probably seen most of my pictures. I thought I would create my own thread to post my pictures in and show my progress.

December 8th 2007

I just finished the semester and was now beginning to write my final exams. I usually don't really care about them and find any excuse I can to not study... I thought I would start a fish tank.

Originally I intended to buy a 20 gallon tank off some dude for 20 bucks but it turns out i bought a 10 gallon tank. I was kinda pissed so I went and bought a new 20 gallon tank (no canopy). Then I went to a friend of my dads who owns a fish store and bought a 29 gallon aqua cube. I brought all the tanks home and put them on my counter to see which fit the best. The main reason I wanted the tank was to fill some room in my living room cause the counter looked very bare.

I ended up going with the 10 gallon cause it fit perfectly.

It was pretty dirty but nothing some water, bleach, dish soap (yeah i used dish soap), windex and razorblades couldn't fix.

Heres the tank after I cleaned it.

It was critical that it fit in this location. The close proximity to the sink was something I value a lot!!! It's just so much easier when dealing with the cleaning of it and stuff. I would consider myself a pretty lazy person when it comes to cleaning fish tanks. This way since its easier for me to do I will most likely do it... I hope.
    Last edited by Fenix; 12-31-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    10 Gallon - Assorted Items of Interest.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Hang in there man! - coachfraley   For taking on the 10g wavemaker! - coachfraley   

0 Not allowed!
    December 9th 2007

I started to buy supplies

Heres 42 pounds of salt i bought. I think I saved 25% buying bulk.

After I filled up the tank.
    Last edited by Fenix; 12-31-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    December 11th 2006

I bought more supplies and live rocks.

Personally the hardest part of setting up a marine tank with live rocks is actually placing the assorted live rocks you have into the tank, in a way that looks decent. As many of you know I kept changing it and changing it. It really pissed me off, I'm kind of a perfectionist so thats why.

I love the look of the live rocks so I bought 17 pounds of it.

I bought both a black and blue background just to see the difference.

Before I added the rocks into the tank I thought it would be a good idea to arrange outside of the tank because it would be a lot easier. I came up with a pretty crappy configuration as you can see in the pictures below.

You are probably thinking that this looks awful and you are right! I just wanted to get the rocks in the water.
    Last edited by Fenix; 12-31-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    December 13th 2007.

I was pretty annoyed looking at my tank so I changed the rocks again.

I had purchased some backgrounds earlier and gave them a try.

Here is a picture with my crappy canopy and a black background. To be honest I actually thought it looked decent when I lit up the light, but now I know it looks so horrible! The yellow is just gross. If you look closely in the picture you can see a tube worm stretched bewteeen two rocks.

Last edited by Fenix; 12-31-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   Whee! - Nick_Pavlovski   Drink up! - Drumachine09   For keeping TOF alive! - Drumachine09   For Being A Great Friend - MeganL3985   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - tropfish   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - tropfish   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - tropfish   HIV/AIDS - tropfish   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - tropfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Its all coming together nicely. I like the way you placed the rocks. The natural jumbled rock structures always look better then the planned ones, it looks more natural.
    55g: 1 Severum, 1 Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno Catfish

5g: adopted goldfish..

2.5g: crowntail betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    December 14th 2007.

I added an all glass canopy. Now I just need my new light, which should arrive soon.

The canopy really holds tight in my tank, there is like no way water can get out! More importantly there is no way that starfish can get out [Explained Later]. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of fish but things like starfish that looks like spiders I kinda am. I always wear gloves when I put my hand inside.

The thermometer is kinda important and so I got one. When i first bought the tank there was one on it but i ripped it off cause I didn't want to see it on the front of the tank.

With a blue background.
    Last edited by Fenix; 01-05-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck setting up your SW aquarium. What are you going to do next?
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    December 16th 2007.

Life finally emerges from my rocks. Its funny cause it all came on one day. I watch my tank closely and it wasn't until now that I noticed weird sea creatures.

Brittle Starfish.

Sea Cucumber.

I actually noticed this guy the day I got my rocks but thought it was nothing until i really examined it. He burrowed under some rocks somewhere and I haven't seen him for awhile.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    December 16th Continued.

Bristle Worm.

Unknown Mushroom.

Feather Dusters.

Originally I had no clue they were even there until someone pointed them out while I was trying to get them ID the pic with the mushrooms.

Not Sure Still.

I have no idea what this is but I killed it anyways just in case. At first I was told it was a nudibranch but upon further research I don't think it was. It was kinda cool but not anymore. I have pictures of when I killed it. Will post later.
    Last edited by Fenix; 12-31-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    the last pic look slike feather dusters...they are harmless.

EDIT -oppps or is it the big yellow thing under the feather dusters?????