· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have A Gift! :) - MeganL3985   nascar prize - sailor   dry these and give them to your Oscar..LOL - OscarFan   just cuz..... - Kuli_Loach   

Default Feeding

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, whats the proper way of feeding an ocar? Like how much do i give? right now i have hikari cichlid gold mini pellets i think they are called. The pellets arent that big. So my 2 main questions are, How much/how do you properly feed an oscar and what is a good brand of food?? Ive heard the NLS and Hikari bio-gold but im not sure of the NLS. theres many different types of it and if someone could post a link to the proper NLS for my oscar that would be great. thanks. right now im feeding my oscar till i can see his stomach is bigger which im not sure is the right way. oh and i feed the same type of food to my peru severum. and its a floating pellet.
    Last edited by BigEvil19; 12-29-2007 at 04:02 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    That is a good amount, until his stomach bulges a little.

For NLS pay attention to the size and whether it sinks or floats. I would only feed NLS, it really is the best.

Feeding depends on size. While they are small they need to be fed more often. How big is it?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil19
    Ok, whats the proper way of feeding an ocar? Like how much do i give? right now i have hikari cichlid gold mini pellets i think they are called. The pellets arent that big. So my 2 main questions are, How much/how do you properly feed an oscar and what is a good brand of food?? Ive heard the NLS and Hikari bio-gold but im not sure of the NLS. theres many different types of it and if someone could post a link to the proper NLS for my oscar that would be great. thanks. right now im feeding my oscar till i can see his stomach is bigger which im not sure is the right way. oh and i feed the same type of food to my peru severum. and its a floating pellet.
    Adult Oscars should be fed once a day. In nature, they eat crustaceans, insects, and worms. The more different kinds of food you feed your Oscar the better he will be. NLS, Hikari, Danichi are good brands. Also make sure you give him some vegetables like thawed peas, peeled apple slices and things like that. Also, there are frozen foods for large omnivores like your Oscar. Herbivore foods are also good for him.
    Juvenile Oscars should be fed twice a day. Serve no more than your Oscar can consume in a minute.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    Here we go
    daily scedule
    Morning 4-7 "Gold" pellets
    some cichlid flakes
    and a tubifex cube
    night
    5 pellets
    flakes
    and bloodworms or krill every other day
    and the occasional leftover fishing bait.
    and snails once a week

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I feed mine in the afternoon and mine gets frozen food (variety) and Cichlid gold (mini floating), Cichlid gold (medium sinking), and cichlid bio-gold (mini floating). This variety has made my oscar grow like mad. He also gets krill every now and then and live feeder guppies once a week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    When you run out of the Hikari I would suggest trying NLS. He will do a lot better on it. And with NLS they actually do best without any variety.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco   Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985   oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco   for quiz answer - Dave66   From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie   

0 Not allowed!
    my oscars get fed twice daily on a floating cichlid pellet - brand im not sure of, its the same my local pet shop uses though. then some krill or flake. every second day or so they get earthworms and once a week they get feeder fish. they seem happy with this arrangement and are all growing fast and look very healthy.
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arkie
    my oscars get fed twice daily on a floating cichlid pellet - brand im not sure of, its the same my local pet shop uses though. then some krill or flake. every second day or so they get earthworms and once a week they get feeder fish. they seem happy with this arrangement and are all growing fast and look very healthy.
    That's an excellent diet, Arkie. You're doing a good job varying the fare. That's why you Oscars are doing so well.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco   Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985   oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco   for quiz answer - Dave66   From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie   

0 Not allowed!
    thanx dave, im glad im doing the right thing for them. im absolutely addicted to oscars and im trying to provide the best conditions for them. im hoping that i eventually have two that will pair up and give me the joy of being an oscar granmummy lol.
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arkie
    thanx dave, im glad im doing the right thing for them. im absolutely addicted to oscars and im trying to provide the best conditions for them. im hoping that i eventually have two that will pair up and give me the joy of being an oscar granmummy lol.
    LoL Arkie. I don't think you want the hassle of breeding them, as they lay about 2,000 eggs and are great parents. Well-nigh impossible to sell the hundreds and hundreds of fry (don't ask how I know this).

Dave