· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpt84
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...82&pcatid=4882

I'm prolly going to have black gravel with Laterite (granular form) and a small sand pit on the side for cory. I'm going to grow java fern/moss because I have a lot of driftwood. Later on (when I have more money) I'll upgrade the light and add a DIY co2 system.

This prolly a silly question but what are peat?
    not silly at all, Peat moss

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok here is my spin on the subject.Like everyone else has said there is no substrate that will lower ph,your lights are insufficient for anything but java ferns and moss.Here is what you will need to do to have a decently planted tank.I will only recomend what I have tried myself or I know from observation.
    1:You will simply have to have more light,100watts is good 150 is better.Truly if you are unwilling to spend the money on good lighting then plants are not for you.
    2:CO2 injection is wonderful,but unless you are going with high light[200watts]it is unneccasary,seachem excel will give all the co2 you will need.{its a liquid co2]
    3:You can get away with 2 maybe 1 bag of seachem fluorite with fine river gravel[torpedo beach] and not have to worry about having a sand beach for your corys,mine love it and are doing great.
    4:to lower your ph and KH a fine product for that is seachem acid buffer used in concert with kent "true PH minus"You will have to do it at every water change as I do but the results are great.You can easily obtain a ph of 6.8-7.2 and keep your KH in the 3-5 range.BTW KH is carbonate hardness and is the most important hardness level to worry about ,keep it low and you will be fine.Whatever product you choose make certain it does not contain phosphate as that will cause problems with algae .Your driftwood ph lowering affect will be minimal,the big piece in my tank did very little,possibly .2 lower.There is another way to lower your ph drastically and that is to use oak leaves directly in the water,however they have a darkening affect and they do cause a mess.
    5:After you have done all of the above you will want to concern yourself with ferts such as ,cheleated iron,pottasium,trace compounds,nitrogen and possibly phosphorous if you water is otherwise devoid of it.
    6:testing kits,for the above compounds.
    Good luck in whatever path you proceed,planted tanks are beautiful but like all things of beauty they are a pain in the A#@.
    Last edited by smaug; 12-27-2007 at 11:02 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wheweee!!! Well spoken smaug!!!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Ok here is my spin on the subject.Like everyone else has said there is no substrate that will lower ph,your lights are insufficient for anything but java ferns and moss.Here is what you will need to do to have a decently planted tank.I will only recomend what I have tried myself or I know from observation.
    1:You will simply have to have more light,100watts is good 150 is better.Truly if you are unwilling to spend the money on good lighting then plants are not for you.
    2:CO2 injection is wonderful,but unless you are going with high light[200watts]it is unneccasary,seachem excel will give all the co2 you will need.{its a liquid co2]
    3:You can get away with 2 maybe 1 bag of seachem fluorite with fine river gravel[torpedo beach] and not have to worry about having a sand beach for your corys,mine love it and are doing great.
    4:to lower your ph and KH a fine product for that is seachem acid buffer used in concert with kent "true PH minus"You will have to do it at every water change as I do but the results are great.You can easily obtain a ph of 6.8-7.2 and keep your KH in the 3-5 range.BTW KH is carbonate hardness and is the most important hardness level to worry about ,keep it low and you will be fine.Whatever product you choose make certain it does not contain phosphate as that will cause problems with algae .Your driftwood ph lowering affect will be minimal,the big piece in my tank did very little,possibly .2 lower.There is another way to lower your ph drastically and that is to use oak leaves directly in the water,however they have a darkening affect and they do cause a mess.
    5:After you have done all of the above you will want to concern yourself with ferts such as ,cheleated iron,pottasium,trace compounds,nitrogen and possibly phosphorous if you water is otherwise devoid of it.
    6:testing kits,for the above compounds.
    Good luck in whatever path you proceed,planted tanks are beautiful but like all things of beauty they are a pain in the A#@.
    Awesome post!! thanks a lot, this helps tons.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I'm going to mix laterite and gravel. For now I'm just going to keep fern and moss. I'm on a limited budget. Later on I'll upgrade my light and add other plant.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats a good decision.Fern and moss will be fine with that setup.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    planted tanks are beautiful but like all things of beauty they are a pain in the A#@.

lol.. aint that the truth.

I see beautiful cars, beautiful houses, and beautiful women and the more beautiful they are the more work you will need to put in... just to maintain it that way. (sorry girls, I know you are not all like that)

I have spent 5 years working like a dog on our house and it looks fantastic but to think that in a few years it will need its make up done again. I cant bare the thought of doing all that work again. Sell the damn thing. Give me a low maintenance house any day. They look so much more attractive than they used to.... lol!

Sorry to hijack this thread...

very good info there smaug!!

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, but the final product is so worth it.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    you totally took the word out of my mouth
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 05-23-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize, i have no idea how my post got here