· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Algae on sand

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09 Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72 For being you - Nick_Pavlovski Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny 
    For helping us out and being a GREAT member! - gm72 I love you! - Over Actor Your my hero.....Kinda.....(^: - Kuli_Loach For the help with the coconut! - the P its about time i gave you a gift too! - cocoa_pleco 
    Let's celebrate Chica...maybe you can help make the favors - **AquaQueen** You do great work! - Lady Hobbs who doesn't want a cupcake? lol - tropfish Thanks for being as sweet as this Kiss to me...your a good friend! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share with my GF....Hope ya like choco-chip w/nuts - **AquaQueen** 
    For Your Daughter...she will like this better...No Milk! - **AquaQueen** Drink up! - Nick_Pavlovski Thanks for being so nice! - Bill M. Good Luck in the tiebreaker! - RobbieG thanks for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah* 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985 Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MeganL3985 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MeganL3985 

Cool Algae on sand

0 Not allowed!
    I have a crappy gravel vac and its still leaving my sand kinda gross looking. Lately i've been noticing a green tinge on the top layer...i'm only guessing that its algae growth? I've been trying to mix it up a bit with my fingers and holding the vac a little closer. but its not helping much. And i'm not sure how much the oto's will eat the algae off the sand. Anyway I have two questions. Do you think its the lack of suction power and things not getting pulled off the sand? Also...how do the pythons compare suction wise to a regular manual gravel vac?

Anyone else have this problem with their sand?
    *Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What Your Up To*

Tanks-
    55 Gallon--On Hold, In Storage...
    20 Gallon High--Tetra and Cory's
    5 Gallon Hex--Guppies (3 Female, 2 Male)
    2.5 Gallon Mini Bow--Future ADF Habitat
    <3 RIP--To My Former Fishies <3

*Aquatic Lounge Chatroom*
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    Could be gasses building up under the sand. Run your fingers thru it to stir it up abit.

Awards Showcase

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09 Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72 For being you - Nick_Pavlovski Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny 
    For helping us out and being a GREAT member! - gm72 I love you! - Over Actor Your my hero.....Kinda.....(^: - Kuli_Loach For the help with the coconut! - the P its about time i gave you a gift too! - cocoa_pleco 
    Let's celebrate Chica...maybe you can help make the favors - **AquaQueen** You do great work! - Lady Hobbs who doesn't want a cupcake? lol - tropfish Thanks for being as sweet as this Kiss to me...your a good friend! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share with my GF....Hope ya like choco-chip w/nuts - **AquaQueen** 
    For Your Daughter...she will like this better...No Milk! - **AquaQueen** Drink up! - Nick_Pavlovski Thanks for being so nice! - Bill M. Good Luck in the tiebreaker! - RobbieG thanks for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah* 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985 Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MeganL3985 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MeganL3985 

0 Not allowed!
    Thats what i've been doing. I stir everything up and the green disappears but its back by the next water change. I try to run my fingers through the sand each water change.

Tanks-

0 Not allowed!
    Gases don't build up that fast. I think stirring it up some every couple months is about norm. How deep is the sand? You may have too much in there. Could it possibly be diatoms from being a newly set up tank?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Its about an inch deep, enough to bury my fake plants lol...is that too much?

Tanks-

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A site with nice pics of different algae:
    http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

I just went through a bout of cyanobacteria (Blue-green, Slime or Smear algae). It looks like algae. It grows easily on substrate or moss (mostly, but also on any surface). It is slimy. It starts as a thin layer.

It was growing first on my moss, then on sand, then on other surfaces.

It is known to develop when there's low water circulation, or a buildup of toxins due to not servicing your filter's cartridges often enough, or low nitrates (maybe that one only applies to a planted tank though).

I don't know if this is what you have, but just in case I'll post what I did about it, which has so far worked - 1-2 weeks with no further signs of it.

After lots of Google searching, my solution was to:
    1. manually remove by cutting moss, and tamping down on sand with paper towel to get it to stick, and wiping hard surfaces

2. Dose with API Erythromicin - 1/3 of recommended dose. Two days in a row. Do water changes. (I also added a bacteria booster after this, trying to mitigate the risk to my biological filter)

3. Raise nitrate concentration using Nitrate fertilizer. I used dry fertilizer (KNO3) but you could use Seachem Flourish Nitrogen or similar. Keep in mind I have a planted tank. Raising nitrates in combination with moderate use of other fertilizers helped balance the tank so that the plants could flourish. I raised NO3 from about 4ppm to about 12ppm right away, and since then have added a little bit more now and then.

Some things that shouldn't hurt, for you, no matter what kind of algae it actually is:
    - If you haven't serviced your filter in a while you could try changing out some of the media.
    - You could do frequent water changes, assuming you don't have plants.
    - Try to completely remove the green stuff that's there, even if it means removing some sand, trying not to stir it up into the water.
    Last edited by elmer; 12-21-2007 at 03:42 PM.
    35G - 70W T-5, 1 Keyhole Cichlid, 1 Otocinclus, 1 3-Spot Gourami, 1 Mollie, Vallisneria, Java Moss, Amazon Sword

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MeganL3985
    Do you think its the lack of suction power and things not getting pulled off the sand? Also...how do the pythons compare suction wise to a regular manual gravel vac?

Anyone else have this problem with their sand?
    We had the same problem, Megan. Our regular gravel vac just will not pick up the waste and food particles off of the sand of our puffer tank. So, we just took the large tube off of the hose of the gravel vac and now just use the hose when cleaning the puffer aquarium. With the smaller tube, a much more powerful suction is created and lifts everything up. Although, it will suck up a lot of sand if you're not careful, but the sand can easily be placed back in the tank again. So, if you can remove the larger tube from the hose of your gravel vac, you might give that a try.

TT
    ------------------------------------
    Ju Jitsu... ... ...
    ...I'm going to learn... ...Ju Jitsu?

------------------------------------

0 Not allowed!
    Check to make sure you don't have some stones lodged in the opening, too. I had to pop a few stones out of mine more than once.