· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by german ram fan
    I have a proble with my algae. When i went to my LFS they told me fish dont eat the kind of algae i have. It is a brown algae that grows on everything(it makes me mad how ugly it looks!). Is there any way to prevent it or are there algae eaters that actually eat it?
    By the way, how big is your tank, what kind of lights do you have, do you have plants, what fish do you have, how much do you feed them, do you add fertilizer, etc?
    And what that guy at the LFS said is not entirely true, because otocinclus do eat that stuff. Some plecos and other algae eaters won't touch it, from what I've read.
    The SAE (siamese algae eater) in my sig is really good, but you must have a big tank and make sure you get a real SAE and not a CAE or FSAE etc.
    Last edited by elmer; 12-21-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    35G - 70W T-5, 1 Keyhole Cichlid, 1 Otocinclus, 1 3-Spot Gourami, 1 Mollie, Vallisneria, Java Moss, Amazon Sword

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cut way back on feedings like 75%. and do 50% water changes weekly if not more make sure temp is simular and age the water so clorine disapates. To many times i see everyone looking for the fish or inverts to fix what were doing.
    Question
    #1 Do you over feed, fish don't have diner bells in the wild they often go weeks with no food.
    #2 Do you do regular water changes faithfuly? 25% or more a week?
    #3 Hows the water your adding to your tank? Do you have stains from your tap water around your sink? You may need a new source.
    #4 Whens the last time you cleaned your filter? at least this should be done every other month, or more if needed. when you do clean it is there flake food stuck to the filters. Maybe shutting down your filter when you feed will alow the fish to get the food and not have it rot in the filter adding nutriets to your water and alowing you too feed less but get more to the fish.
    #5 Are there to many fish do you follow the rule of thumb 1" of fish to one gallon of water?
    #6 Do you have a ballance of fish some top dwellers some middle and botom. Maybe a few scavagers such as cory cats, piscotomus, algea eaters, and or shrimp
    Last edited by gbbudd; 12-26-2007 at 04:29 AM.