· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Baby shrimp survival tank mates?

0 Not allowed!
    Thinking of possible tank mates for cherry red shrimp...

The babies are amazingly small, I've ruled out almost all non bottom feeders. What about corys? They don't appear much for pursuit if a healthy baby can get out of the way. Is that a safe assumption?

I also love kuhli loaches, but I think they might pursue.

Anyone with experience?

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

0 Not allowed!
    Any fish will eat anything alive that's small enough to do so, Rich. You would need a grow-out tank for the youngsters before you could put them in with any of the benthic fish you mentioned.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do realize all small critters are food, but I would imagine the babies in the wild go through the same problems, granted in shallower water.

With the way these shrimp seem to brees, I could handle a 50% loss or less. Just curious what would give them the best odds. or am I missing that any cory will be quicker than teeny shrimp?

This question was also intertwined with my other ground cover question, but I thought it was best to keep the Qs seperate. Could the plants in the tank make a difference? Ground or floating?

Maybe Java Moss or Hornwort be the key with corys?

0 Not allowed!
    If you have an area where the baby shrimp could hide, like a fine grate, hidden in a corner, most of them would make it. The more plants, driftwood and/or stones you have the more baby shrimp would make it and the more you'd make trading them with the LFS.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    shrimp are quick, I don't think cories will get them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope not as I have 4 pygmy cories in the tank with my shrimp. My shrimp have not produced babies yet (only dropped eggs) so when they do I would hate for my cories to eat them.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    For baby anything I keep them by themselves in a well planted tank.

In the wild most will be eaten. This helps weed out ther slow (mentally or physically) individuals which helps keep the population ideal. This is mentioned in my thread about why nature is not ideal.

I would just keep them by themselves.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my, for those keeping score...

I added a few RCS including 2 accidental babies with my Julii. First test when the Julii came in contact with the shrimp, it was like lightning. Those shrimp can move!!!