· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For when you re-stock the 10g... - Nick_Pavlovski   Good Luck With Your New Fish :) - MeganL3985   Uh.....  I just wanted to give you a gift   :  ) - Kuli_Loach   have a burger! - cocoa_pleco   for always being helpful....didn't know if you were old enough to drink or not. lol :) - squirt_12   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   

0 Not allowed!
    inside dimensions came to 33 inches, i really wouldnt even mind only having 1 if thats all thats possible, an upgrade in tank size would come eventually just dont know when
    5 gallon-- my oh noes emergency tank
    10 gallon nano-reef-- clownfish, coral banded shrimp, snails, hermits, live rock
    46 gallon community-- tetras, danios, gouramis, platies, guppies, glass cats, corys, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    For one Dempsey it is perfect So if you have your heart set on one it is a possibility in 40 gallons. I did some more reading and they do say for a solitary Dempsey 35-45 gallons is needed and for two a lot more...

They really are beautiful... I always drool over the tank glass when I see them anywhere
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    wow...they are a really nice fish...i agree with fishalicious that 1 would be fine in a 40g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For when you re-stock the 10g... - Nick_Pavlovski   Good Luck With Your New Fish :) - MeganL3985   Uh.....  I just wanted to give you a gift   :  ) - Kuli_Loach   have a burger! - cocoa_pleco   for always being helpful....didn't know if you were old enough to drink or not. lol :) - squirt_12   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   

0 Not allowed!
    cool, i'm gonna look into some smaller tankmates so there not the only thing but it'll definitely be the showcase of the tank. i cant wait but i still gotta get the glass for my tank thx fishalicious
    10 gallon nano-reef-- clownfish, coral banded shrimp, snails, hermits, live rock
    46 gallon community-- tetras, danios, gouramis, platies, guppies, glass cats, corys, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    I say you can, if you have the right filtration and hiding places. They are very expensive, so would be way better off ina larger tank.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yea i found out the price for a 2" juvy is like 30$ so i would have the best canister filter i can afford and make sure the tank is very mature with everything all ready before buying one

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    wow...$30??? thats alot for a 2" fish. lol. But they are very attractive and good looking so it is worth it in the end. lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yea, its that much because there are still pretty new to the aquarium hobby and are not in constant supply yet

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ?Erik3.8.07?
    do you say that cause most 40's arnt wide enough?
    Dempseys reach around 10 inches, so they need 20 inches to comfortably turn around. The usual formale for a Dempsey-sized and larger cichlid is 2x wide x 4x long. Thus, about a 75 gallon tank.
    They also need the room to develop properly as to size and finnage.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default EB

0 Not allowed!
    Well most experienced people say with EBJD, that they are more skiddish and less aggressive then regular JD's. They are expensive, and while easy to pair, you need to strengthen the recessive gene in the fish creating the EB color. This is usually by breeding a pair of EBJD or EBJD and JD and then raising a fry and reintroducing it to the EBJD parent. That will increase your chances.

40 gallon, footprint is really the question. my footprint is 48x18 and it works great, one of the keys is width with large cichlids. What really sucks is that at 2in, the personality is still forming. And as we all know if a JD is determined to do something well he is going to try and try until he either does it or dies trying.

Give it a try, you could always go with a EBJD and a regular JD. If worst case sell the regular back to a LFS.

Since you are making your own tank, try to push for a little longer length if possible. An aggressive JD will think he owns have a tank to two thirds. And 6in is a lot when it comes to JDs.

hope it goes as planned!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast