· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some fishies with your ribbons - Lady Hobbs   coreys need company - Lady Hobbs   Celebrating my first batch of bred shrimp! - kurly   Because I love my Bolivian Rams :D - kurly   So my first Bolivian won't get lonely - kurly   
    Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - kurly   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - kurly   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - kurly   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - kurly   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - kurly   

Unhappy Female Cherry Shrimp dropped her eggs

0 Not allowed!
    I thought we would have baby red cherry shrimp soon but it looks like it won't happen because I just saw a clump of small eggs on the substrate of my tank. Everything checks out fine with the parameters so I am not sure why it happened. Oh well, hopefully the next go round will turn out better.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    bummer, wonder why?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    My female ghost shrimp did the same thing...
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    This happens quite a lot with younger female shrimp.. probably her first batch.. the next time it will go well and you will have a tank full of baby shrimp ;) It happens here a lot as well with the younger ladies...
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!! - squirt_12   Here's To Your Great Info & Being An Awesome New Member! - MeganL3985   Always good posts - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    she also could have been molting while carrying the eggs...i have seen them drop them then. No worries, you should have more soon!
    36g corner bow, heavily planted with java moss, windelov, java fern, anubias barieri, crypts, anacharis, and african fern. 2 honey gourami, 9 cardinals, 4 neons, 5 cherry barbs, 5 sterbai cory, 1 brochis splendens, unknown number red cherry shrimp
    16g bow, lightly planted with java moss, java fern. 4swordtail tetra, 1 male betta
    10g 4 pomacea bridgessi, a million cherry shrimp, java moss, windelov fern, anubia, java fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some fishies with your ribbons - Lady Hobbs   coreys need company - Lady Hobbs   Celebrating my first batch of bred shrimp! - kurly   Because I love my Bolivian Rams :D - kurly   So my first Bolivian won't get lonely - kurly   
    Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - kurly   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - kurly   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - kurly   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - kurly   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    We did actually see her drop them. It was like she kept trying to hold onto them but eventually she just let them go. My son was excited because he could see all the eggs in a little clump. He thought they would "hatch". I had to explain to him that it wasn't a good thing for her to drop them like that because she actually lost them and there would be no little shrimps.
    This was her first time because we got her when she was very young.

I need to do a water change today. Am I supposed to vac the little clump of eggs up?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    You can leave them if you want as the shrimp will eat the abandoned eggs...
    Next time it will go great ... before you know it you will have hundreds <looks over to her own tank>

If they have started breeding also she will be carrying eggs again sooner than you think
    My own Fish Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That was my next question Fishalicious.....How often do shrimps breed? Or, how long does it usually take for a shrimp to carry eggs again after she drops the previous ones?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The female doesn't have much choice in it If a male 'jumps' her she can be carrying eggs again within a few days...

They carry the eggs for around 28 days before they hatch... be really careful with water changes once the little ones are born as they are really tiny tiny little shrimp which often get sucked away with cleaning... try to put the water you syphon out into a white bucket first so you can check for babies. Or tie a filter net around the syphon you get the water out with.

Also check your filter regularly as many shrimp end up in there but can survive in it for a long time... I check my filter every 2 weeks and I always find at least 10 -20 shrimp in there (all alive)
    My own Fish Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lol... male shrimps look like this when it comes to mating----> Poor females huh?

Thanks for the info. I have a white bucket that I use for water changes so I'll be sure to check for baby shrimps whenever I do end up with them. I don't have to worry about the filter though because that has already been taken care of. I had to put a sponge on my filter because my fish were very tiny when I first got them and a few ended up getting sucked into the filter so I learned my lesson on that one.