· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Goldfish mostly on it's back

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    After lots of searching, I decided to write on this thread in hope of a few answers. I have a 10 year old Goldfish that sleeps/swims mostly on it's back. This happened in the past, but after I tried the fasting method (3 days without food, then you feed him with peas) he recovered. Now it seems this is not the case. I started a treatment with Bakto Tabs and I can say that he started to swim normally from time to time, but he still sleeps/stays on it's back. I got some water tests, everything looked fine except the nitrate levels. Now, after a week of daily water changes (10-15%), the nitrate levels are almost normal. He has a 50L aquarium, with natural vine wood and plants, a filter and a constant temperature. I don't know if I should get him an air stone. It seems like his tail is slightly curved, but not that much. Apart from that, he seems ok. He has the same appetite, he swims, after a water change he's the same, meaning that he looks happy. It's just that sleeping on it's back problem that I don't know how to solve. I'm a beginner at this and I got him from someone that didn't really care for him and he didn't really have any good conditions, so I tried to offer him the best home and in these years I tried to improve. Does someone know what I should do? I intend to continue this treatment and the regular water changes, as I saw some small improvement, but I was wondering if there's something more that I could do. I think that it was a big problem with the aquarium, as some of my plants died, but now it looks good. I intend to buy some more as I read that they also help regulate the water parameters. I know that I did some wrong things, but I'm still learning. So thank you all for reading my post and thank you for the answers.
    Have a nice day!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure.
    Do you have substrate? Do you vacuum the substrate?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. I have black 2-4mm substrate and I vacuum it with every water change. I also read other threads where it said that it could be scoliosis or tuberculosis, but he doesn't have those symptoms and his tail is not that curved, as I also mentioned in the the post. Everything seems fine. I also tried to raise a little his water temperature thinking that it might have a negative impact on his health.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Could be swim bladder problems.
    Try not feeding it a couple of days. See if something might be stressing the fish. On the second day feed the fish peas. Hope you come right.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your answers. I really hope that he'll get better and that he needs some time to adjust. The water parameters are all good now, he has the same appetite as always, the water temperature is good. Maybe he had a shock and needs some time to recover. Thank you again for taking the time to answer