· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Freshwater tank turnover seems slow to me

0 Not allowed!
    I have setup a 20 gallon cube tank and it seems to be taking a long time to cycle. I suspect the causes but would love to have some confirmation on my thinking as I've never had this slow of a cycle but then it has only been something like 10-12 days. The current population is just a small cory, a pleco and 2 black skirt tetras that I inherited. I suspect what I'm seeing is bacteria bloom as there is a light grey or milky 'fog' in the water.

The cube tank came with built in three stage filtration in the back consisting of sponges, ceramic rings and carbon. Right now the carbon pack is inserted but I doubt that I'll end up using. I know that many consider it obsolete but I'm old school and have the built in pump disconnected. I'm running under gravel filtration with two plates each with it's own air riser driven by Whisper 40 pumps using fine air stones so there should be plenty of water flow through the gravel. The gravel is just generic aquarium stuff varying from 2-3 inches as I don't like a flat gravel base. I keep the tank at 81 degrees F. I have the built in pump disconnected due to it causing too much turbulence to the point where the tetras can't even swim. The pump is rated at 264 GPH. I plan to replace with a pump rated at 80-100 GPH.

I guess that should be enough tank history... ;)

Like I said I've never had a fresh water tank take this long to initially cycle and suspect two probable causes.
    1) It is a cube tank, not a rectangle which means less gravel surface for filtration.
    2) In the past I always used agate for the gravel as I wanted a higher alkaline level for South American Cichlids.
    Are my thoughts valid?
    3) I'm not really used to a tank this small and mayhaps it just longer.

Thanks in advance for any insights. :)
    Last edited by jaylach; 05-19-2022 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Typo in the title

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Try posting your question here: https://www.fishforums.net/

Sadly, this site has died down to almost zero activity.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    How much are you feeding? Could be that you over feeding thus the cloudy water.