· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Greetings From West Virginia

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone. I've kept aquariums since I was 10 years old. I am now almost 47 years old. A couple months ago my fiancee's brother-in-law decided to get out of the aquarium hobby and asked if I would be interested in taking it off his hands. I said sure, what size? My fiancee said she thinks it is a 29 gallon tank. When we went to pick it up, I took a look at the tank and said that's not a 29 gallon. It turned out to be a 45 gallon tank. Well, 3 hours later I had it home sitting in the middle of the living room floor. My fiancee wanted to get new gravel, so after scrubbing the algae out of the tank, we added 45 lbs. of black gravel. I had the fish in a 5-gallon bucket with an air stone while I was setting up the tank. Well, two fish didn't make it back in the tank. The aquarium included 17 fish and we ended up with 15 living. I wish I had two 5-gallon buckets to transport the fish but I was only expecting a 29 gallon tank, and the guy wanted the tank gone immediately.

It's been two months now, and we added some more fish and a lot of real plants (never understood why people buy fake plants, but that's just me). Haven't lost any fish since setting the tank up. But had to treat for Ich a couple weeks ago because the clown loach came out of his house one day looking like someone rolled him in sugar.

I currently have three small algae eaters, a baby guppy +slipped in with the algae eaters at the store), two tin foil barbs, a red fin tetra, a neon tetra, two Cory catfish, a striped catfish, some kind of dark gray catfish, three swordtails, a zebra striped danio, a clown loach, a glow light tetra, two Buenos Aires tetras, and a few more fish that I've not made a positive I.D. on yet. Filtration is a Tetra Whisper 60 with bio sponges. Lighting is provided by a 36" LED light. Water temp is right at 80 degrees F. All of the fish are happy and content, although they seem to be quite an unlikely selection for a community tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Unfortunately, this site has died down to almost zero activity, for quite a while...post your questions/comments here instead, you'll get many more replies: https://www.fishforums.net/

To be honest, the stocking in this tank leaves ALOT to be desired; most of the fish you have belong in a MUCH bigger tank, and nearly all of them need to be in much larger groups, as they are social fish.

Good luck,
    M-
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I figured as much regarding the selection of fish. Those were what came with the tank when it was given to me. These pet shops around here will try to convince you that you can keep an Oscar in a Betta bowl, it's that bad.

I'll check the other site when I get the chance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, your situation is not unique, it's happened to others, as well ...but kudos for doing the best you can with caring for the fish that you basically rescued

See you at TFF...

M-
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers