· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Raising Oscar Cichlid fry

0 Not allowed!
    I received news a while back that I'm getting Oscar Fry from someone who's leaving for an entire month (I'm going to try to keep his 220 gallon Oscar tank running too), and I don't quite know how to raise fry quite yet as I have no experience with anything other than an accidental Blue Dragon Blood x Strawberry peacock mix. I don't know if a 36 gallon aquarium is suitable, but I think it will do well to get the fry to about 1-2 inches long. I have an African Cichlid tank I'd like to throw them in to as they are accustomed to alkaline water. The other tank is 55 gallons. I am unable to change my current situation, but I am able to modify the 36 gallon. Does anyone have advice for how to Raise the fry?

I'm told an airstone and some pea gravel (I have some gravel in the 36 Bowfront that is by topfin) will do fine. I'm also going to keep the temperature at a normal 78 degrees fahrenhiet. Help with this situation would be much appreciated if there is anything wrong with this setup. Will Life Spectrum Pellets at a very small size do okay with the fry as well or should I use some freeze dried food or frozen Brine Shrimp? I am unable to get my hands on live food. Thankyou for responses.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think I had enough info, so here is a little more:

The Oscars that will eventually in the Peacock and Hap tank after 3 months are going to be growing out. The Africans are currently 1.8-3 inches long. They are housed in a 55 gallon for now; I expect the Star Sapphires (x2) and Livingstone (x1) to take a long time to grow :). The eventual size I plan to grow these Oscars out is about 5 inches, though I'm just saying that the ones in the 55 gallon will be 5 inches long, and that's not too many. I'm thinking that the Africans will all be about 4 inches long after 3 months, so 2-3 inch Oscars may not be too bad of a problem. I might wait longer until the Oscars are 4 inches.
    I don't know how many fry Oscars produce... I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I expect it's a bad thing.

Just a side note idea:
    Are Oscars suitable pondmates for Goldfish provided they are in a 55 gallon pond and the goldfish are 4 inches?