· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default I'm having problems with my aquarium plants!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys. I recently took my friend's aquarium because he is going out of the US and I offered to take care of it. I don't know what he did and what kind of fertilizer or other stuff he used, but I do not like what I am seeing. The plants are not as they were supposed to be, and I have never seen something like this. Personally, I use fertilizers I buy on Amazon, Green Leaf Aquarium, and NilocG. The last one is the most used one by me, and my other two tanks are looking great. Now, this tank is a freshwater one, and I do not know if I am supposed to use any aquatic plant product at this point or change all the tank's setup. I am attaching some pictures, hopefully, they are clear pics that I took the moment I received the tank. Don't worry about the fish, they are moved to another tank, a smaller one, temporarily.

Did anyone of you have this same problem? How did you resolve this? Do you suggest me investing in improving this actual setup, or maybe changing it completely? What is the most logical, less time-consuming, cost-effective solution?

If the pics are not very visible, note that the rocks are turned black and the plants, brown shade! Also, the pressure of the switching pump was not proper, and I changed it. I know that this does impact, but I am not sure about the fertilizer stuff.

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where I shop aquatic products:
    AMAZON, GREEN LEAF AQUARIUMS, NILOCG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Luke. It appears I am about a week late in replying to your query. I hope you've had luck figuring it out but in case you're still having an issue with the tank then I will be happy to help!

It's hard to really tell what is going on from the photos. If you could turn the tank lights on and close your curtains or wait until nighttime before taking photos that will really help in reducing reflections and allow us to see the inside clearly.

Nine times out of ten, algae and browning leaves are a sign of poor water quality. It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like there is a massively deep dirt substrate with all kinds of gasses building up in it and it looks like it is covered in detritus. The soil may very well be leaching excessive amounts of things like ammonia and phosphates into the water. The bubbles on the surface sticking to the glass are a sign of elevated levels of organics in the water. Clean water won't have bubbles or froth staying on the surface like that.

Before you start dosing the tank with Thrive or whatever ferts you get from Colin or spending money on the tank, focus on getting the water clean. If the animals are out then take a stick and start poking into the substrate to release all that trapped gas and then when you're done do a full water change. Really focus on sucking up all of the detritus that is just sitting on top of the substrate and completely drain the tank down to the top of the soil. With no animals in the tank then a 100% water change is perfectly safe, just remember to add in your dechlorinator as you're refilling the tank so that you don't kill off your good bacteria.

What is the full setup of the tank? Filtration, heater, pumps, lighting, etc.? I would like to address what you already have going for it and making sure all of that is good before you start spending money.