· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default good vs bad algae

0 Not allowed!
    Is there such a thing as bad algae in a tropical tank? I like to keep a certain about on the walls of the tank for the fish to snack on. Usually it's the peppery kind that sticks to the glass. What about the furry kind and the leather stuff that grows on my glass canopies?

S

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    green is good, brown is hard to get rid of. and the white stuff is not algae, it is fugues.

lol we need more detail bro.
    I like Pie.. and I love my Fish.. so whats your game?

My Photos, enjoy.
    My Photo Bucket

0 Not allowed!
    There is a deep green algae that grows in little tufts or in carpets over the backing and decor which can give a beautiful natural look... I like this one ;) This is also the only one algae eaters 'really' enjoy and like to eat.

All others have to go I'm afraid as they will slowly destroy plants - black brush algae, red algae and then the worst the cyanobacteria algae Blue Algae which can be so toxic it can kill your fish over a long time.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to butt in but, I have some dark brown fuzzy looking algae growign on my plastic plant is this safe, if not how do I get rid of it. Even if it is okay I'd still like to get rid off it cause U hate how it looks in my tank.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Brown is easy to get rid of. It is a low light algae so all you need is a new bulb or more light. Ottos are also good at taking out brown algae.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How would I get more light for my 20g other than buying new bulbs, right now it has some pretty powerful lights not the best out there but, I dont really want to spend my money. Also aren't plecos almost the same as ottos?
    Last edited by AquaBison; 12-17-2007 at 07:33 PM.