· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New tank bloom cycle

0 Not allowed!
    Hey so im new to the forum but have some experience from an old job in an aquatics centre.
    Long = short, new tank all water parameters were great for 2/3 weeks , fish added a few days ago and I think I'm in the middle of the bacteria bloom , cloudy water nitrites and nitrates higher than id like. I did a partial 25% water change which brought it down a touch but not as much as I'd like. My concern is the two babies ( oranda and blackmoor) although they are still bopping about around the bottom and generally swimming about they're now both spending alot more time than I'd like 'gulping' at the top water line. My filters spray arm is out the top as much as I can to try and oxygenate the water a bit but I'm a at a loss that I may have 2 floaters in the morning how long can I leave it before I need to do something.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    The fish added enough organic matter from fish waste to produce a heterotrophic bacteria bloom. Do a larger water change 50%, and add an airstone. Do not feed for several days.

How large is this tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    The fish added enough organic matter from fish waste to produce a heterotrophic bacteria bloom. Do a larger water change 50%, and add an airstone. Do not feed for several days.

How large is this tank?
    Its a 50L tank with just the two in there. Have my airstones on amazon order for this week hopefully. Since changing the spray arm to the top to make some water motion they've been substantially more active in the tank apposed to the surface. Will stay off the food for a few days and see if it clears. Thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fancyafancy20 View Post
    Its a 50L tank with just the two in there. Have my airstones on amazon order for this week hopefully. Since changing the spray arm to the top to make some water motion they've been substantially more active in the tank apposed to the surface. Will stay off the food for a few days and see if it clears. Thank you
    I would considering upgrading that tank in the future to at least twice that size for those 2 goldfish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We are hoping to upgrade once we can sort where a larger tank will go. Theyre not even 2" big at the minute so should be done before they're too big for the small one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.
    Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.
    Thank you
    Yes it was running for 2/3 weeks before the fish came. I checked the water parameters couple times a week before hand and since first few days was fine then today suddenly a shoot in levels and cloudy water which was what made me think bacterial bloom ?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.
    I've had a read through the forum files on here and I think I can see where ive gone wrong maybe I added fish in the middle of the initial cycle and this is why my levels are so high. I done a part water change today and levels are better and fish seem more active and spending less time at the surface.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and some nitrAtes.

Just running a tank for a few weeks won't cycle it, cycling is a process that will take weeks, sometimes months.

What kind of test kit do you use? What kind of water conditioner? Do you use tap water as your source water, and is it chlorinated?

And yes, I do believe you are seeing a bacterial bloom, which is another indicator the tank isn't fully cycled.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes was our tap water with api tap safe , filter with a bacti insert thing that came with it. I have a 6 parameter test strips kit just a dip and read job ( hardness , chlorine, Ni,Na,carbonate and ph) left it around 2 weeks with nothing then tested 3 times the following week before the fish came, all reading were ok Na not 0 but not in the high section. Added the fish on Saturday and today the levels of Ni&Na have rocketed along with cloudy water. Just done a test now and Ni is about 75ppm and Na 20ppm all other levels are good. Is there anything I should or could do to help in the bloom process?